1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 RC: Hardware and Device Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2009 #1 of 36
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    This thread will be for issues involving the installation of your devices such as printers, scanners, cameras. etc., and issues with hardware such as video card, network cards and so on.

Larry

2. May 7, 2009 #2 of 36
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    sound blaster live 5.1 is not working with windows 7.

i'm currently downloading drivers from creative; we'll see what happens.

3. May 7, 2009 #3 of 36
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Creative has had a checkered past with drivers ever since Vista came out... not sure what their issues are. You might try installing the latest Vista driver for your card.

Larry

4. May 7, 2009 #4 of 36
    brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    initially, the drivers would not install because the installer could not find my card. some type of windows pop-up came on screen and asked if i wanted to try again; i hit okay.

its working, but only two-channel audio output. the software from creative that is used to control the digital audio output will not run on windows 7; it says win7 is an unsupported operating system.

5. May 7, 2009 #5 of 36
    Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    I can't get Directv2PC to work with W7RC! :mad:

6. May 7, 2009 #6 of 36
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    We are covering this in the Windows 7 Software issues thread... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=157412

And I will bet you have an nVidia video card?

Larry

7. May 7, 2009 #7 of 36
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Has anyone gotten a U3 device to work? When I plug mine in I get a message that the drive letter assigned is the same as a network drive & to disconnect the network drive & it won't let me run the launchpad program. I don't have any network drives mapped & I even tried changing the drive letter but no luck.

8. May 7, 2009 #8 of 36
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Do you have any other external drives connected to your PC? Don't forget external/PC card/audio hub, etc., ? If so, disconnect them all and then go in and change the drive letter. It should work after that.

Larry

9. May 7, 2009 #9 of 36
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I unplugged everything, connected the U3 drive, it used the same drive letters but did let me start it up. I then changed the drive letter on the second drive that I had not been able to do before since I could not enter a password. I ejected the drive, plugged everything back in, inserted the drive & no-go. I unplugged only my hub which has an externa; drive plugged into it & then could start the drive again. I cannot start it if the hub/external drive is plugged in.

10. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    The joys of beta testing
    Ok after swapping components on my 2 desktops i have the RC up and running on my desktop but now my printer "HP P1005"which worked fine with the native windows drivers on the beta doesn't seem to want to install on the RC even after downloading its own driver and tried to install it that way and with vista compatibility & run as administrator also,
    It shows up in the device and printer screen as an unknown device with the printer model listed but doesn't recognise the drivers im using. anyone shed additional light on what i'm doing wrong

11. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    My Canon LiDE 25 and Canon Pixma Pro9500 both had no issues. Though the Scanner is using 32 bit software, it works so I can't complain. :)

12. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Scatch that, th eprinter owrks as advertised on the machine it is attached, the Windows 7 64 version. However, when I try to connect other machines, I don't have the 32 bit version of the driver installed on the Windows 7 machine. Canon screams when I try to install 32 bit version so, what are my options here? :shrug:

13. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    -- n/m --

i reset all my connecters and restarted a couple of times and it appears to be working correctly now . . .

14. smiddy

Apr 5, 2006
    Ok, I resolved the issue with the printer driver, Canon has made a couple of 32 bit drivers, one works with the 64 bit additional drivers, the other doesn't. I have got both 64 bit and 32 bit loaded. There's another option for Itanium too. Is there an operating system specifically for Itanium platform (Windows?)? Any how if you get stuck with you printer drivers I can walk people through this now, sigh! ;)

15. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    I have been running Windows 7 now for a couples weeks. I am loving some of the new features, but have been having some annoying issues.

1) BSOD - I believe I have corrected this issue. I had an external HD connected via firewire and was getting a power state failure when my PC went into sleep mode. Since I have removed this HD I have not had the BSOD for 3 days now.

2) Windows Explorer has hung on average 1 to 2 times a day, currently have not determine a reason or solution for this. Anyone else having this problem?

3) I have a 1 TB SimpleTech External HD connect via USB. I have been having major problems with this HD, while previously when running Vista I had no problems with it. Many times I it is either not recognized when restarting or seem to want to fix disk errors. I have also noticed that when moving large amounts of data to this drive it has hung and had problems. Lastly when playing video stored on HD thru MCE Xbox 360 it is jittery (hardwired, had no problems when Vista). All video is converted to MPEG 2, so no transcoding should be necessary.

Anyway, thought I would see if anyone else had these problems and was able to find a solutions. Thanks in advance!

16. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    FYIW: Explorer hangs up on my Vista machine, also.

I just installed W7 on my other laptop but haven't really played with it much as I'm still installing programs.

17. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Are you talking Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer?

18. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    Windows Explorer. Never had any issues with Vista's Windows Explorer.

19. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have had a few issues with IE8 (but it is still beta IE8 as the final version is not available for Windows 7 as it is for XP and Vista) but I have experienced no issues with Windows Explorer. I have 4 internal drives and 2 externals. No issues observed so far.

Can you post what you are doing the next time it happens?

Larry

20. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    I have a feeling that a large majority of the issue are with my 1TB SimpleTech external HD. For example, just this afternoon I attempted copying just small files over to the harddrive (< 1MB) and the process hung. Suddenly nothing else is responsive and it was me to restart Windows Explorer. Example below.

"
    Description
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: explorer.exe
    Application Version: 6.1.7100.0
    Application Timestamp: 49ee974f
    Hang Signature: 9fcb
    Hang Type: 0
    OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 9fcb665cae8fee69e4dfe7b8b08472fa
    Additional Hang Signature 2: e815
    Additional Hang Signature 3: e815c6ade074730fcf40cdefb25faab7
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 9fcb
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 9fcb665cae8fee69e4dfe7b8b08472fa
    Additional Hang Signature 6: e815
    Additional Hang Signature 7: e815c6ade074730fcf40cdefb25faab7

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 580900253
    "

It's really becoming frustrating, I love the new feature of Windows 7 and it is faster than my previous Vista OS, but these critical errors that are happening multiple times a day are getting on my nerves. My PC was new in January of this year 2.5 GHz Dual-Core, 4GB RAM, 64-bit OS. I would think it's plenty powerful, has to be an issue with something that I have installed or running possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.