1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Windows 8 and mediashare

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Hornnumb2, May 2, 2013.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Is there a how to setup this, I done everything I can think of but it still won't see it. Thanks Michael

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  3. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I am able to see the computer now but all the videos have X's beside them. The couple that don't have X's fail when trying to play them. Thanks Michael

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    What file types are they?

EDIT: Have you tried using a virtual server?

5. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I tried Tversity and couldn't get it to work either, I downloaded Serviio and it works great. Thanks

6. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I use an older version of Tversity v1.7.4.1. I believe and it works flawlessly, there are also only certain file type that are compatible

7. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Unless you have the one of the older version of Tversity, it is not going to work as it is unsupported now. I used to use Tversity myself but switched to Serviio. Also not all file extensions are compatible.

8. Bughead

Bughead New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I use both Plex and Playon for streamimg at home. Plex is by far the better of the two. However, you need a roku or some other device to play on tv. Playon works great with mediashare, but hogs a lot od cpu.
    This is what works for me.

Frank

9. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Serviio works well but I would hate to be in the middle of streaming a 2 hour movie and something happens to the connection that kicks you out. There's no way to resume, REW, FF, 30SKIP, bookmark or anything. So for movies I just plug my laptop into a spare HDMI port, mirror the display and launch XBMC.

However Serviio works well for music. I streamed music to HR24, H24, xbox 360 and even my Yamaha RVX-493 networked audio receiver. I recommend giving it a look.

For music its worth having proper ID3 tags on your collection. Things like The beatles are listed 3 times in my collection each with different songs under them. For example:
    Beatles
    Beatles, the
    The Beatles

I still have to figure out how to fix that easily. I don't have time to manually go through a million songs.