1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Windows 8 Install-WOW!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Oct 26, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I didn't have too much intention to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 anyway, and this just SEALED the deal. I was talking to Microsoft tech support, and you HAVE to upgrade from 7 (Or Vista or XP). The ONLY way to wipe your hard drive and install a CLEAN version of 8 is to buy the System Builder's version. However, this is only good for a ONE TIME activation. So if you format your hard drive again (Or your hard drive crashes, or you swap hard drives), you have to buy Windows 8 System Builder's version AGAIN.

2. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    Not sure I believe that. I have not booted a retail disk yet but all indications are that the option to do a clean install is included. The only caveat I know of is if you are trying to install Enterprise edition.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe it is true about having to have a previous OS installed. The system builder restriction is not. You can reinstall on the same PC, or transfer to a new PC that you own. One system builder license cannot be shared between systems. The full version sku is gone.