1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Home Basic and Ultimate are finally dead!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Apr 16, 2012.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Extra for Media Center, Extra to network on Windows domains? Ill stick with Win7, thanks.

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Maybe the extra for Media Center will include Blu-Ray support.

Personally, I'm wondering where the one "Pro" feature I use ends up - being able to handle a remote Desktop Connection. You needed "Pro" or "Ultimate" for that.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There's no change for domains, just needs Pro. I personally think we should reserve judgement on Media Center until the price is announced.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Remote Desktop Host is still Pro.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Looks as though Microsoft is going to ignore owners of PC's with XP Media Center and Windows 7 Home Premium, or at least cost them a significant amount of money to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center addon (if their hardwar will support it).
    I confess I haven't been following the talk about Windows 8 requirements, but one hopes the system requirements will be less severe than for Vista or Windows 7. I, for one, would appreciate faster load times anda less bloated OS. :D

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Other than the Media Center stuff, I don't see any negatives (and we don't know the price, the Media Center pack could be $20).

No one will get saddled with a Starter or Home Basic version preinstalled on a computer. Home Premium is just Windows 8 and will be fine for most users.

Sure, if you want domain support, Hyper-V, bitlocker etc you'll need Pro but this is good news.

Here's a chart of the edition comparison:
    http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/.../04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

8. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Does anyone know if it's true that Win 7 Ultimate users will not have an upgrade path?