1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Phone Series 7

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by naijai, Feb 15, 2010.

1. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Today at the MWC in Barcelona, Microsoft revealed their new Mobile OS and also announced the launch period, provider and manufactures that are lined up to carry the new OS more information and videos on following sites. After looking through seems microsoft has a good product to take some of their market share from Apple & Android.

http://www.windowsphone7series.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-hands-on-and-impressions/?s=t5

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/default.mspx?WT.mc_ID=wpvan

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Oh yes... but is it too little, too late?

For over a decade I was the ultimate Windows Mobile / Windows CE / PocketPC fanboy. But I've given up. It may be the best Windows Mobile ever... but I'm not interested personally.

Really, it looks like Microsoft is probably doing the right thing trying to lure Zune and XBox people into the fold, but I'm neither. All I want is a phone with a decent web browser and Outlook integration. I'm still scratching my head over how the iPhone can do Outlook better than a Windows Mobile phone.

3. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I don't understand how they can scrap everything else and start fresh with a new mobile OS (which was a good idea) but come up with such a mis-mash confusing name that doesn't anything but roll off the tongue. I guess somethings never do change.

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Maybe they're trying to tie it in with Windows 7?

On another topic, does the iPhone OS even have a name?

5. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    That's it's name "Iphone OS" or OS X or OS X iPhone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_OS

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    My point in asking if iPhone OS has a name is to point out that users don't care about the underlying OS. They care about the front end and its capabilities, as well as its ability to provide a good experience to the user.

I've been told that Windows Mobile 6.5 is an excellent application development platform, and that the code underlying it is incredibly stable. Yet this platform is almost completely ignored because without something like HTC's Sense UI it's just not a good user experience.

Will Windows Phone Series 7 be a good user experience? That remains to be seen. Unfortunately, Microsoft has lagged behind for so long it will be a hard road up for them.

7. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Definetly agree with you on all points, I mostly liked Samsung's Touch Wiz interface for almost all their products but right now i am enjoying my Touch pro 2 and possibly between now and the release we might see more. Remember Apple is working on a new Iphone, it's going to be a good showdown in the mobile market for the next 2 years as microsoft fights it's way back. If they bring it back the same way they have revamped the Zune & Windows 7 then i'd say to Apple "BRING IT"

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, and competition generally benefits the user.

9. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Most definitely

10. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    I want one :)

11. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Absolutely agree on the competition end of it, but...

I am not wasting any more of my time, or my companies money, until Microsoft actually PROVES that they have a viable product. Windows Mobile 5 was going to fix everything, then WM 6, then WM 6.5. Years of churning out half baked products have left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

And I have an ActiveSync environment all ready. I've tried many (not all, or even most) WinMo devices. Microsoft has no credibility in the mobile space. At least not now.

And yes, I'll get one...

12. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    WM 6.5 is really just 6.1 (it's the exact same kernel) with a more touch-friendly UI stuck on it and a slightly improved browser.

It's a great OS for Enterprise type applications because of it's development platform but falls way short on the ease and fun factor for consumer experiences, which is why SenseUI and other interfaces are necessary.

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I like it, looks good to me and frankly more futuristic than the iPhone at this point from the videos and walk throughs I have seen. People are craving social internet apps and devices and this is clearly above the iPhone in that regard.

I have used the Zune HD and it is an excellent device, if they continue the trend with the OS I think they have a real winner on their hands. The iPhone is already aging and they are not showing signs of doing much to innovate it forward at this point...so for now this will be a killer device IMO.

The biggest issue will be betting people to understand it, as it will again be like other WM devices where it is not just one handset, it is the OS on multiple vendors devices.

14. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
  15. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Spinning back to this 'other' topic for a moment, Apple has a wonderful habit of simply not naming their OS's.
    For example, 7.5.5, 8.6, 9.2
    Then they finally came out with "X"
    "X 10.1", "X 10.3","X 10.4".

The iPhone/iPod Touch OS is called "iPhone OS"
    I would call what runs on the iPod 5th gen and below a firmware, not an OS. Based on the way you interact with it and it interacts with you.

I understand your comment about people not caring what the name of it is, but I believe it was a marketing tactic. They sure as hell couldn't call it Windows Phone Vista Series ;)

16. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Microsoft Launches it new mobile experience today with partners on almost all continents with HTC coming out with 5 handsets as well as Dell, Samsung & LG

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/microsoft-announces-ten-windows-phone-7-handsets-for-30-countrie/

* HTC 7 Surround -- The 3.8-inch T8788 with slideout speaker for AT&T and Telus
    * HTC HD7-- Schubert comes of age as a 4.3-inch HD2 cousin for T-Mobile and beyond
    * HTC 7 Trophy -- the 3.8-inch Spark headed to international carriers
    * HTC 7 Mozart -- another heavily leaked int'l player with 3.7-inch display
    * Dell Venue Pro -- 4.1-inch portrait QWERTY slider for T-Mobile we broke as Lightning
    * Samsung Focus -- AT&T's 4-inch Super AMOLED slate we broke as Cetus
    * Samsung Omnia 7 -- the i8700 is a 4-inch Super AMOLED jobbie for Europe
    * LG Optimus 7/7Q -- the E900 is the official 3.8-inch global workhorse
    * LG Quantum -- AT&T's 3.5-inch landscape slider first seen as the C900
    * HTC 7 Pro -- a 3.6-inch QWERTY slider for Sprint (2011)

Windows 7 Handset Specs Comaprison
    North America

AT&T
    • HTC Surround, United States
    • Samsung Focus, United States
    • LG Quantum, United States

T-Mobile USA
    • HTC HD7, United States
    • Dell Venue Pro, United States

TELUS
    • HTC 7 Surround, Canada
    • LG Optimus 7, Canada
    América Móvil
    • LG Optimus 7, Mexico

Europe

O2
    • HTC HD7, United Kingdom, Germany

Orange
    • HTC 7 Mozart, including France, United Kingdom
    • Samsung Omnia 7, including France, United Kingdom

SFR
    • HTC 7 Trophy, France
    • Samsung Omnia 7, France

Movistar
    • LG Optimus 7, Spain
    • HTC HD7, Spain
    • Samsung Omnia 7, Spain

Deutsche Telekom AG
    • HTC 7 Mozart, Germany
    • Samsung Omnia 7, Germany

Vodafone
    • HTC 7 Trophy, including Germany, Spain, United Kingdom
    • LG Optimus 7, including Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom

Asia Pacific

SingTel
    • HTC HD 7, Singapore
    • LG Optimus 7, Singapore

Telstra
    • HTC 7 Mozart, Australia
    • LG Optimus 7Q, Australia

Vodafone
    • HTC 7 Trophy, Australia

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Now that it is much later (and a little more too little?), if it were almost any other company than Microsoft (or Apple), I'd say this was DOA.

MS does not give up in competition, certainly not public ones. :)

So I still have my hopes, even with the current limitations. Though I completely agree with you in many ways--it's getting harder and harder to wait for the features I want.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
  19. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I'm actually a little excited about the Windows 7 phones but the icons for mail, phone, messages, etc are just awful.

20. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I am still deciding whether to get the HD7 or the Dell venue
    The 4.3" screen definitely gets my vote