1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP countdown clock ticks under 500 days

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Steve, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Arguably the best OS ever, and certainly durable. XP SP3 still runs as snappy as can be on my T60 laptop with 2 GB of memory. And aside from IE 9, I've yet to come across a Windows application that runs significantly better under Win 7 on my desktop machine. And the inability to run IE9's likely a marketing limitation, since Chrome (25) and Firefox still run as smooth as butter under XP.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Doesn't mean it won't work... just means they won't be updating the OS with patches for anything...

11 years is a very long time.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Exactly. It will still work, but I honestly do not believe it should be in the Internet after that date unless you really know what you're doing.

I have told my mother that she has to upgrade to 7 prior to that date. She already owns the software, I had her buy the upgrade when they had the cheap deal. She doesn't like some of the software versions of programs that are compatible. She knows the day is coming.

4. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Cheap deal? How much did you pay & where if you don't mind me asking?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Microsoft priced the upgrade to 7 at $50. That deal is long gone, but there currently is a $40 deal for Windows 8, as a download.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    And it is in many spots between $55 and $70 if you want the disk as well.

With the ability to go to Desktop mode in Windows 8, haven't had many issues with it yet.