1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winegard Trav'ler RV Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by az99, Oct 17, 2011.

1. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Long sorry.
    I am in the process of installing an SK-3005 Winegard Trav'ler on my RV. I have set it up on the ground to do some testing. In my house I have an HR-24 receiver. It is setup with SWM on 99,101,103 sats. What I want to do is move it to the RV and do absolutely no setup changes. Just plug it in and watch TV (after the painfully long bootup process). The Winegard picks up 99,101,103,110,119 . I set that up with an SWM8 to convert to SWM which works fine (thanx to prior forum help). What seems to be the problem is the 119ยบ sat. When that is found it seems to goof up the HR-24 setup. I moved the dish to a place where I knew the 119 was not visible. The dish still auto locates it just takes longer. But then the HR-24 seems to work the same as the house even though it picks up the 110 sat it does not show up in the satellite menu.
    Can I just cover the 119 LNB and which one of the 3 is it ? I assume far right looking at the dish. Is there a better way to disable the 119 LNB ?
    I guess the auto locator of the dish needs the 110 and 101 to get the skew.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With the SWM8, you shouldn't even need to worry about 119.
    Your guide data will always come off the 101, so unless you're wanting something off 119, "who cares?" :shrug:
    BTW the 119 LNB is the farthest off the center line.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Try covering both of the smaller "eyes" on the LNB head with aluminum foil. Then turn it on and see if it still aims itself OK. If it does, you just proved that the 110 and 119 are not needed for self-aiming; and then, *in theory*, you might get away with changing the LNB head on the Trav'ler to an SL3 type, instead of the SL5 type it came with. This would be the SL3PIG non-SWM head. It's a little narrower, mounts the same way and uses the same four cables.

It wouldn't cost too much to try this ($27 on ebay), but I stress that I have not tried it myself; and if you try it and the dish then fails to aim itself, well, you were warned.

If it does work your receiver will be happy in both places.

Keith

4. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I talked to Winegard about that. They said a SWM lnb will definitely not allow it to aim.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Think you missed what it was.
    You currently have an SL5, and the suggestion was to try an SL3.
    Both aren't SWiM, and are interchangeable, with the question being does Winegard only use the 101 for alignment, or does it use the 119 too for tilt?

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Do you have line of sight to 110 & 119 at home? If so it might be easier to just upgrade to a 5LNB head at home, then you don't have to worry about whether or not the Winegard will work.

7. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Sorry but I really do not understand your reply. And no I do not have ii9 at home.

8. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I tried covering 119 with foil and it still aimed correctly. But when I covered 110 with foil also it aimed to 101 and but did not set the skew.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    119 & 110 are on the same two coax [13/18 volt + tone], so it sounds like Winegard is checking one or both for the tilt/skew.
    Tilt is needed for the 99 & 103, so it doesn't look like you can change to an SL3.
    If you didn't have a SWM8, not getting 119 would mean loss of guide data [updates] when tuned to channels off 103, but with it, you should be fine as long as the tilt/skew gets tuned.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm saying it sounds like it might be easier to change your LNB at home to one that also gets the sats at 110 and 119 so you have the same setup at home and in the rv so you don't have to keep switching back and forth between 3 and 5 LNB in the sat set up. In order to do this though you need to verify that your dish at home would have a clear line of site to the sats at 110 and 119.

You can try using dishpointer.com to see if it might be possible.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" it's easier to do nothing. Once you've moved to a SWiM setup, there isn't any downside to having the receiver setup to a SL3 or SL5, AND it being the wrong setting.
    With the legacy LNB, the guide data updating would be the issue.

12. az99

az99 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Thanx I understand now.

13. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I'm not understanding why it you think its messed up when the dish can see 119??? what does your hr24 do exactly that's messed up?

Or do you mean the dish takes longer to acquire? The traveler is a slow painful aiming procedure, not sure why that couldn't have been sped up, the after its all done sometimes still doesn't have over 90 on 103 or 99.

The setting on the receiver has NO effect on how the dish aims or how long it takes, that's ALL internal on the traveler. As stated hiding 119 makes the 101 acquire sooner but then no skew for 99 and 103.

I say let it do its thing, keep your 17:swm setting and dont change anything.