1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Winners and losers from the disputes with Fox

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by Greg Bimson, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    So I attempted to do some digging regarding the outcome of packaging on the disputes. I ended up finding a clear winner. From HollywoodReporter.com:
    So I googled news on Ivi, and found this, from San Francisco Chronicle's sfgate.com:
    I'm ready for a smackdown of immense proportions.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    An interesting concept. Claiming protection under the law as a "cable system" but then claiming no responsibility under the law that being a "cable system" requires?

They are currently carrying NYC and Seattle TV channels and subchannels. If they delivered the NY ones to Cablevision subscribers in the NY market they would have needed permission to carry the signals.

They should be governed the same as FIOS even if they don't own or sell the connection to the home. If they want to be a "cable system" they need to follow all the laws applicable to a "cable system". Otherwise there is no statutory license for them to rely on.

BTW: The site is registered to an individual in Seattle, WA, and is hosted on a server apparently in San Fransisco, CA. I expected this to be an offshore operation.

3. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Do they interrupt ALL of their programming streams whenever there is an EAS or AMBER Alert?
    Do they collect local and state taxes?
    Do they have retrans agreements with all of the stations?

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Buried in news articles today about Senator Jay Rockefeller blasting cable news was the fact that it was a hearing on the recent disputes between channel owners and cable and satellite companies. From the LA Times:

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I sure hope not. That's one thing I hate about OTA.