1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wired CCK with HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Satchaser, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Satchaser

Satchaser AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    Does the HR44 Genie require a Deca if there is a wired CCK in the Whole Home system?
    Thanks

Satchaser

2. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    What is your setup? The HR44 has a built-in Wireless DECA and does not require a separate adapter. Please confirm the following with an installer >> If upgrading from HR2x or adding the HR44 to the Whole Home, then the installer may simply be able to disconnect the wired DECA from the Whole Home. However, it is important to consider the signal reliability. Many say the wired DECA for internet connectivity is the way to go (vs. wireless).

Good luck!

-=K=-

3. Satchaser

Satchaser AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    I have wireless but the signal strength is unreliable in the room where the genie will be located. I currently have SWM 16 HR20-700, HR23, and three H21's; WHM, etc. All work great! I would prefer to keep wired DECA (in series with H21) to increase reliability and to keep traffic volume lower on wireless network which has 16 or so devices on it.

Satchaser

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm a little confused here;

All the current receivers you list require external DECA adapters attached for WH service. There then should be another standalone DECA or purpose made CCK with a power supply which acts as the "BB" one for internet access to the entire cloud.

If you have this then the HR44 can work through this CCK (or BB DECA) for wired internet access.

Then again, some poorly trained installers think the HR44 can only work properly for internet access through their internal wireless CCK. Do not let them do this and insist do not try to activate the HR44's integrated CCK-W if this happens.

5. Satchaser

Satchaser AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    Setup as you described HoTat2. external DECA's on all receivers and wired CCK for internet access. HR44 will not have external DECA and will have CoAx hooked to signal port.

Satchaser

6. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    What you're proposing will work fine.

The HR44 has built in DECA, so you don't need a DECA Adapter, all you need to do is plugin the coax connection and it will be able to talk to your other HD-DVRs that have the DECA Adapter.

The wired CCK can continue to be used to provide Internet access to all of your HD-DVRs.

Optionally, the HR44 can replace the CCK by plugging in an Ethernet connection to the HR44 or connecting via WiFi - but if you don't have a reliable wireless connection, the wired CCK will continue to work just fine.

7. Satchaser

Satchaser AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    Thanks for all the answers!

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    No DECA necessary. Like the HR24, that capability is built into the receiver.

9. Oct 3, 2013 #9 of 20
    mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    I am having a new install on Saturday. HR44, client to replace one DVR, and a HR24 to replace broken DVR. I have a SWM8 and everything is prewired. I want a wired connection to my router, not wireless. What determines if you use a wired DECA, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=DCA2SR0&d=DIRECTV-DECA-Receiver-II-Ethernet-to-Coax-Adapter-DECA2--(DCA2SR0)&c=Satellite or a wired CCK, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=decabb1r0&d=directv-cinema-connection-kit-(decabb1r0) ? I know the HR44 connects wirelessly, but if you use one of these kits, isn't each DVR then connected via wired to the router? I wouldn't have to plug the ethernet cable into the back of the HR44?

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You only need one Ethernet connection from your router to the DECA cloud (the coax network of your receivers). This Ethernet connection can either be an Ethernet cable connected to a Cinema Connection Kit OR an Ethernet cable connected directly to a Genie OR it can be a wireless connection via a wireless CCK OR the wireless setting of the HR44. My suggestion is that if you have the ability to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your Genie, that is the way to go.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Ok Merg I think I understand how this works now! I have an ethernet cable ready to plug into the HR44. From what I've been reading on the forum is that an ethernet cable plugged into the HR44 is unsupported by D*. I refuse to go wireless. This will be a very easy install for the tech.I hope he doesn't have an issue connecting the HR44 directly to my router.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It is a supported setup, but most techs want to use a CCK still or set up the HR44 via wireless. If they go the wireless route, after they leave just plug in the Ethernet cable and reset the HR44. If they use a CCK, you can either leave it or you can remove it and plug the Ethernet cable into the HR44.

- Merg

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the two items linked are exactly the same, with the latter being discontinued and no longer being installed

14. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    When I had my HR-44 installed a few weeks ago the tech hooked it up to the 44 and removed the CCK. I asked him about wireless but he said if I had a wired connection ready that I should use that. Everything works fine.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    True;

Although now I would add it's the way to go for those which have some technical knowledge of the nature of this type of hookup.

As VOS pointed out on another thread, DIRECTV also has a good reason for not using this as a supported connection on installation because if customers start doing things like deciding later on to change the location of their receivers, what most who are non-technical do is simply look at the connections on the rear of them and then try to exactly mimic them on the receiver they're replacing it with.

Thus if they swap places with a Genie which has a direct ethernet connection to a router with say an H/HR24 and simply plug the ethernet cable into either of those models, the internet connection to the DECA cloud will be broken of course along with disabling their internal DECAs, and possibly resulting in a complaint and service call to DIRECTV.

16. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Please educate me. The HR34/44 has a direct ethernet connection to a router. My HR20-700 which has no internal DECA also has a direct connection, correct? Models such as the HR24 with an internal DECA do not? I thought all the DECA was doing was enabling internet to pass thru coax. So the built in DECA on the HR34/44 is different? It just acts as a bridge to connect other DVR's/devices to the cloud? Thank you for your patience!

17. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    All HD receivers and DVRs except for the H20 have an ethernet port. Anything prior to the H(R)24 requires the external DECA module to use DECA networking. While the HR24 has an internal DECA it can only use one or the other - ethernet/DECA. Only the HR34/44 can act as a bridge internally

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Note: Except for the H25 receiver which has no ethernet port either, but only an internal DECA.

So unlike the old H20 which has niether, it is network capable.

19. mridan

mridan Godfather

Nov 15, 2006
    Install was done today! The tech installed an HR44, client, and an HR24 to replace two HR20-700's and a HR23-700. The tech would not connect ethernet to HR44, he said it would only work with a wifi connection. When he left I changed settings in the HR44 and connected it with an ethernet cable to my router. Whole home setup works fine. Pandora and Youtube still not updated on the HR24, but works on the HR44 and the client. Network settings passed on HR24. Whole home, OnDemand, and apps working on HR24. How long before I see YouTube, and Pandora?

Correction YouTube, Pandora, and Apps not working yet on HR24.

20. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    at least a day or two