1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wired.com does a review of the HR34 Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Scott Kocourek, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
  2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I hate "reviews" that don't get the facts correct.

3. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Definitely a JSP review. If I were writing an article, I'd at least have the basic facts straight.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hopefully readers will see the comments, maybe the author will update the article.

5. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    I have not been able to find the "LED indicators: which tuners are currently active and whether you are currently recording any shows:"
    Which he mentioned in the paragraph below.
    I own a Genie, as well downloaded manual and have not found this LED light.
    Have I missed something, or does he own a different Genie?

"The all-black Genie set-top box looks good next to a PS3 and a Blu-ray player. It measures 15.75 inches by 3.25 inches and emanates a soft blue glow from the front panel, showing the DirectTV logo and a few helpful LED indicators: which tuners are currently active and whether you are currently recording any shows. The Mini clients are also all-black but measure only 5.9 inches by 10.2 inches. They fit perfectly on a small end table in a bedroom or even in the kitchen."

6. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    He must have been referring to the resolution LEDs on the front panel. There are a few problems with the review that he will probably correct after he uses it for a little while.

7. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Fixed :lol:

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I read both Wired reviews. This one and the one on the Hopper/Joey. While both got some details incorrect, I thought the overall impressions were pretty spot on and fair, if simple, reviews.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right after he plugs in an eSATA to the USB plug, perhaps?

Rich