1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless connection?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Clark Kent, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    We have DTV in a few rooms downstairs. My wife has an office upstairs on the other side of the house. I want to put a tv and hd receiver up there, but do not want the hassle of the guys coming here, drilling more holes, and getting the connection to the other side of the house. Is there a way to have the reception sent wirelessly to a receiver and tv?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Nope, you will physically need cabling from the dish to the receiver, or at least from your multiswitch(if you have one) to the receiver.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    That stinks. The technicians around here are terrible. I was thinking they could go across the roof and then down the other side, but I don't know if they have the skill to do that.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The free standard install is to run a coax around the outside of the house and in through the exterior wall.

- Merg

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    Merg, are you saying they couldn't go across the roof?

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You don't want a cable slung across the roof if you can avoid it. Short spans are tolerable, but anything more than a few feet and you asking for trouble. There really is no good way to secure it, so it's just up there flapping around rubbing on the shingles. It's just a matter of time before it will fail.

If you don't want the local HSP to run the wire, open up your wallet and hire an electrican to run you a coax to where you want it.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When my AT9 dish was installed in 2006, the installer used plastic clips every few feet to secure it (it's about 10 feet from the edge of the roof).

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    He should have never done that. Now you have little screw holes in your shingles. Those screws do not and will not hold in the asphalt material.