1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wireless Genie Client a little slow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gator1234, Mar 17, 2014.

1. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Got mine installed today. This was the installers first install of a wireless client and it took him over an hour. He had to keep calling for support. Seems that he was doing something out of sequence that caused a problem. Once he got it going it does seem a little slow to respond. Seems there is several seconds delay after you push a button on the remote. On the H44 unit itself it reacts as soon as you hit the button. Very fast. I asked the installer and he said he noticed on the wired genie's that he has installed responded the same way, a slight pause.

You would think that the response should be just as fast as the primary unit as it seems the Genie with clients is the way Directv seems to want to do future installations. I see on the relocation package they are offering a free Genie DVR so they seem to be pushing them.

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I have two C41W's and not seeing what you describe. What color is the LED on the C41W?

The clients aren't going to be as fast as being locally on the Genie but not by a bunch.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    My C41W may be a bit slower then the HR44 but it is not really noticeable.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    The wireless client is slow IMO. Everyone will have different opinions on what is slow so I doubt you get a solid answer here. I have hooked up several of these all different ways and they are all slow (to me) no matter the installation. Just a few examples of installs include: video bridge same room as wireless client 20 ft away = slow, video bridge anywhere from 30-70 feet away with multiple walls in between = slow, video bridge in window and wireless client in workshop 50 feet away = slow. Bottom line is it works great in all sorts of installs but to me they are all slow.

1 person likes this.
  5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    expecting the same speed of the HR44 out the wireless is just unrealistic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I found the same can be said with a wired client too.

1 person likes this.
  7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    agreed!

but since the TS mentioned wireless, I responded accordingly

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Unless the TS also has a wired client to compare, it may not be anything to do with the C41W

9. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    The delay from a wired client vs the c41w is minor. No complaints period, today's install was the techs first one also. One help was a dual coax outlet in livingroom. One was for Comcast and the other directv. I had him cut the cable at splitter location in attic...turned out sweet.

For what else I want to say...taking the high road.

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Agree the clients are slow. Which is why I use an H25 as mine.
    I've tried C31 and C41 as well as samsung RVU tv all slow to respond. I couldn't imagine a wireless unit.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

11. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd rather have full DVR features that a client provides then the small improvement in scrolling through a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd be interested in your impressions of the client's speed after a day or so. Some of the clients ship with older firmware which is a bit slow. Yours might seem faster in a day.

As for me, the performance of my C41s is identical (wired or wireless), both about the same as an HR34, while obviously the HR44 is faster.

13. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    My wired client is slow...

1 person likes this.
  14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I'd rather have equipment work properly.
    And my HRs work just fine as clients as does my H25.
    C31and 41 were about as responsive as my HR23. Which is not great. But atleast the Hr has an excuse.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    why can't we make the same excuse for the clients? lol

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure they need "an excuse", or that they aren't "working properly".
    RVU seems to have some inherent "lag" for some commands, which can be seen also by the delay in playback compared to the Genie.
    The client isn't for what I'd call a main viewing location, but for secondary and works fine with the added ability of managing the Genie.
    "It's nice" to be in bed and able to add, change, etc., series links, recordings, and everything else on the Genie, from something you just saw on the TV.

17. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Guess I really can't understand why people expect a client to have the same performance as a Genie. On the Genie all functions are executed locally on the box with probably the slowest component being the hard drive as far as data transfer goes. But when you do something on a client the client needs to send the commend over MoCA then the Genie has to process the command and then send the response back, again over MoCA. Just a lot more processes to go through comparing the two.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure there's a good answer.
    Some may not understand what they're using, while others may simply expect things to work "their way".
    I've had a DVR, H25, and clients in my bedroom and the client was "what I liked" the best. The delay in playback, while there, wasn't an issue.

"I look at" what things do and how I can use them to fit my needs best.
    Others may simply expect everything to work "their way". :shrug:

19. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...