1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wireless Genie Connection Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by BruceS, Jul 16, 2014.

1. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I am trying to install a Wireless Bridge and a Wireless Client and am having problems.

First I connected the Wireless Bridge to MOCA and powered it up.

I gave it a few minutes and the went to my HR44-500 Genie and activated the wireless bridge. This took a few minutes, but eventually it seemed to be successful.

At this point, the Wireless Video Bridge Status screen on the HR44-500 showed the following:

Wireless Video Bridge: 1
    MAC Address: 60:02:b4:bc:8d:0d
    Software Version: 1.0.32
    Connected Clients: 0

I then connected to Wireless Client (C41W) to a TV in another room and let it boot.

At this point, the Connecting to Video Bridge screen showed the following:

Video Bridge Survey Mode: Inactive
    Wireless Signal Strength:
    Signal Quality: Waiting...

There was also a Connect Now and a Setup Instructions choice shown at the bottom right of the screen.

I then went back to the HR44 and selected Add Clients, which displayed a screen showing a pin number to enter on each client.

At this point, I went back to the C41W and hoped that the Video Bridge Survey Mode would have changed to Active, but it did not.

I also tried to select Connect Now, but could not find anyway to move the cursor to it on the screen.

I have tried re-booting the Video Bridge, the Genie, and the Client in various combinations, but never got the Video Bridge Survey Mode to show Active or anyway to select Connect Now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I might try to be able to connect the client?

2. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Disconnect the WVB from the coax.

Plug in the C41W. Plug in the WVB. They should go into survey mode and give you a signal strength. If not unplug the WVB and try a different location till they do. Fetch your drill and some coax.

When the video bridge is in survey mode the light flashes from blue to green. This should start shortly after you place the genie in add a client.

The C41W should give a signal strength screen and let you select continue, this can take a few minutes.

If after 5 or 10 minutes nothing happens try holding the red button on the C41W for 20 seconds.

3. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    The Wireless Signal Strength shows a fan, which is white all the way to the top. I assume this is like the one on my iPhone5, which indicates that there is a strong wireless signal.

However, the Signal Quality never changes from waiting and I still cannot select Connect Now.

4. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    It should be green to indicate signal. White is no signal.

Your Client is no hearing the bridge.

Try disconnecting the bridge from the coax and they should go into survey mode. This allows you to move the bridge around till you get a good signal. All green.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  6. BruceS

BruceS Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Thank you, that did it.

Although I had to try a couple of times before I completed the installation, everything seems to work fine now.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    They key here is to NOT connect the WVB to the coax network until the C41w finds the WVB. Then and only then you can connect the WVB to the coax network