1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Network & HR21 Connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by sailermon, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    I am planning on getting the Linksys WET610N Wireless Bridge and hooking it up my HR21-700. I read on Amazon.com reviews that a person hooked up the DTV HD-DVR to this bridge using the top ethernet port and then connected a Blu-ray player to the bottom, second ethernet port on the HD DVR for "pass through" connection to the Internet via the wireless bridge. In other words, if you have an HD-DVR with two ethernet ports you can connect two devices to the Internet using this single port wireless bridge without having to purchase a switch.

Is this true and has anyone done this successfully? :confused:

Thanks for you help.

2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Yes its true but it's not recommended because it takes some of the processing cycles of CPU inside the HD DVR.
    But you absolutely *could* do that.

3. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    So what you are saying is that it will slow down the DVR?

How would this adversely affect the performance and would this only occur when the Blu-Ray player is attempting to access the Internet?

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Switches are much cheaper than they were. You mighr be happier with a switch.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think you'd be a lot happier with a switch. The bottom line is, the second port is not designed to handle the load of another device. People do daisy chain them, it's true, and it's not clear how many issues are caused by that configuration. On the other hand, 4-port switches are dirt cheap.

6. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    4 port switch is less than 20 bucks at BB. And not bog down as much should network traffic get heavy. For 35 bucks I use the "Green" D-Link 5 port gigabit switch. If you think you may add more in that area spend 5 more and get the 8 port.

7. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    Thanks!

I found the D-Link DES-1105 5 port switch for under $7 after $10 rebate. I assume this will work seamlessly with the WET610N... CORRECT?

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Correct.