1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless networking to a Droid X

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SledDog, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    I'm considering using the Droid X's 3G mobile hot spot capability for my HR23-700's internet access.

Has anyone done this or have an idea what type of wireless access point/wireless equipment I would need for the receiver.

My other receivers are H20-100s so I'm not using MRV nor am I doing any media sharing.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    DirecTV recommends the Linksys WGA600N and WET610 wireless ethernet adapters.

3. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    You beat me to this topic. I've been trying to hotspot my HR20 to my Nexus1, so far without success. I hotspot my laptops to it all the time. I've tried changing the ip addy in the HR20 to that of my phone, didn't work. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing.

4. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    I would use the linksys WRT320N or Linksys E2000 since they have 5 gigabit ethernet ports instead of one 100 megabit ethernet port.

5. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    Thanks for the info. The only item that will be on the wireless adapter is my HR23-700. Therefore all I need is one port.

6. Sysyphus

Sysyphus AllStar

Nov 27, 2007
    Hope you have a good data plan ;)

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If it's like mine is is Unlimited Data Usage for the Droid with Verizon even though there is Fair Access Policy written into the Fine Print of all of these agreements.

I just bought a couple of months ago the Virgin MiFi 2200 which has an Unlimited Data Usage Plan for $40 a month and I was just notified that going forward from Feb. 15th it will be reduced to 5 GB which is what Verizon, AT&T & Sprint all have but I will be Grandfathered in because I was enrolled prior to this new version of the Plan.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The 320 and E2000 are routers where the WGA600n and WET-610N are gaming / bridge adapters.

9. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    The data plan I have is unlimited usage. My employer pays for the unlimited usage portion of my personal cell bill since I access my work PLCs for troubleshooting.

So far I have not had a "fair access issues". And I up and download some very large programs and files.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    What good does that do you if the Directv DVR Port can only handle 100 Megabits??? :confused:

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I would Monitor it as all corporations are getting pretty ANAL about Excess Data Usage and soon you will see everyone going to Tiered Pricing and it will be Very Expensive to get Unlimited Data Usage.

12. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    BubblePuppy - what wireless adapter are you using for interface your HR20? Does your adapter show it is connected to the nexus? Does the nexus even see your wireless adapter?

RichieRich - Hopefully the rate will be grandfathered. Kinda like what direcTV does with their packages.

13. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Buy an old used linksys wrt54g and put ddwrt on it. Them m/ake a hotspot on the dx and configure the ddwrt router to connect to it (must be configured through a computer). This was is a lot cheaper. The wrt54g goes for 10 bucks on ebay.

14. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    the WET610N only has 1 ethernet port, the WRT320N and E2000 have 5 so you can connect more then one device and not have to use the dvr's pass through port.

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    The Directv Deca Broadband adapter is plugged into my WRT610N.
    I have tried everything I can think of. I think the problem is that when the phone (Nexus1) is in wifi mode 3g is disabled, the WRT detects the phone.. When the phone is in hotspot mode the WRT does not detect it nor my broadband adapters, but my laptops do, of course.
    The broadband adapter is connected to the WRT via ethernet connections, which I'm wondering if that should be the case since I don't have cable internet.

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The letter stated that we who had purchased the Unlimited Plan before Feb. 15 would be Grandfathered in.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I was told by Verizon that if you use your Droid phone as a Hot Spot then you don't get Unlimited Data Usage but you get 2 Gigabyte Data Usage instead so I decided against doing that for $20/month.

18. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    If you're doing this through Verizon, it'll cost you $20 a month extra to do it, you'll be capped at 2gig a month, and compared to "regular" internet.....your speed would be painfully slow.......

19. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Using a phone to tether another device doesn't fall under the "unlimited data usage plan" for phones. Verizon charges $20 a month extra to use their phones as wifi hotspots and caps data usage at 2 gig a month. Not exaclty the best setup for feeding an HD-DVR......

20. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006