1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Phone Jack Help?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SBacklin, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    I have a wireless phone jack system (base unit and 1 extension unit). For some reason though, I cannot get any of my receivers (D10-200) to recognize a line. Before the software ugrade the boxes got (discussed in an earlier thread), it would always say the line is busy. After the software upgrade it says failed on phone status. I have determined though with the sofware upgrade it will show failed as the message if the phone line is in use. As I was saying, it always says failed even though the phone line is not in use. Now, I tried resetting the receiver, the wireless phone jack units and it still does not work. Can anyone help me on this or does anyone have any information that will be usefull. I alreayd know that I don't necessarily need a phone line hooked up, however, I would like one....especially if I decide to get a DirecTivo DVR box.

2. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    You need a wireless modem jack, not a phone jack. The modem transmits data and will work. I've been using an RC930 Wireless Modem Jack for almost 2 years with my Dish Network receiver with no problems.

3. dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    also if the polarity is crossed in your telephone system it will also report the same errors when using wireless phone jacks. You can pick up a phone line tester from radio shack for 5 or 6.99 that will tell you if the polarity is crossed in your lines, if it is just swap the red and green wires. or whatever color is coming in.

4. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Ok, maybe I identified these pieces wrong then because my brother used them for when his Comcast boxes needed a phone line and it worked for him.

5. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    See if you have a red light on the receiver. That's a sign of a malfunction. The base unit must be plugged in before the slave units.

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Some units work with non modem quality jacks and perhaps the Comcast box falls into that category. Others require a modem quality jack.

7. SBacklin

SBacklin Legend

Sep 14, 2005
    Okay, I'll check into getting a more modern wireless modem/jack system. Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.