1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Pre-N would work better than G

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jtn, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    For HDTV networking I think. Any opinions to differ? Wireless Pre-N is the latest now it can handle more bandwidth up to 270 mbps. Eventually the standard N will be introduced, but it's in working stages now. Wireless G can handle up to 54 mbps.

2. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    If you're putting a wireless network in today I would go with 802.11n. Although you're more likely to see speeds in the 74mbps range than the high-end.

3. dcborn61

dcborn61 AllStar

Jun 26, 2006
    For almost everyone, g or n will make no difference. The slowest part of the connection will be the download speed of your internet connection.

Given that g in real world is about 27meg (1/2 of the 54), you would have to have internet connection faster than that to need n.

4. AccidenT

AccidenT AllStar

Jun 9, 2007

I believe the OP was referring to streaming HDTV video from one machine in his house to another, which takes the internet connection out of the equation. Although I'm not sure what that has to do with the HR20, unless he wants to be future-proof in case multi-room viewing is enabled.

5. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    If it comes down to buying wireless equipment today then go N. The difference in cost isn't so great that it's not worth a little future-proofing. Would I run out and upgrade an entire network right now (cards, laptops, etc.)...probably not unless there was a specific reason to do so.

6. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I have "N" in my house and it is a little pricey right now compared to "G", but my wife is using it mainly for high def picture transfer(s) in her business, so I need as much bandiwdth in my home network as posible.

For the current use of the HR20, the "G" will suffice even when using the DOD/VOD since that is limited to the ISP speed. You can get some really great prices on "G" at ebay from people like me that have upgraded. If you buy used, make sure you ALWAYS re-flash the firmware on the equipment from the OEM.

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Are there even any N or pre-N ethernet converters available for use with a HR20?

8. beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Not sure what you mean by that, no doubt the port on the HR20 is 100mbps so from there you look at your weakest link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.