1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless "Repeaters"?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Rich, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1 of 21
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is there such a thing as a "wireless repeater"? I have a room with three HRs in it and the room is attached to the house in such a way that it would be extremely difficult to get a hard wire ethernet connection to it. I know I can buy individual gizmos that will plug into an ethernet port, but I would like to have one with four ports to feed the HRs without having to switch an individual gizmo around from HR to HR. If you could provide me with a link, I'd really appreciate it. I have an N wireless router in the house now.

Thanx,

Rich

2. Apr 8, 2009 #2 of 21
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not the expert, but I'm told you can take a Linksys WRT54G (new or used), put third-party firmware on it, and bingo it can be used as a repeater.

3. Apr 8, 2009 #3 of 21
    waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Take a look at this Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G Repeater .

4. Apr 8, 2009 #4 of 21
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    There are devices called wireless work group bridges that let you plug several wired connections in and bridges that traffic onto the WLAN but I don't have any links to any consumer grade (or priced) ones. A wireless repeater should generally be avoided because of the throughput degredation associated with them. Since they only have one radio they will generally reduce the actual throughput by at least 50% - this isn't a big deal for non-bandwidth intensive applications but if you want to stream anything accross it I would look for a different solution.

5. Apr 8, 2009 #5 of 21
    steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    What you are describing is a wireless bridge.

Bridges tend to be more expensive than routers because there is not as much demand. They are basically the same thing as a router, and vendors "could" give you the option of turning your router into a bridge, but they typically don't.

Since you have a wireless N network, I'm assuming that you want a wireless N bridge. Two tips:

- Use the same vendor for both devices. I don't believe that the N standard has been officially set yet so vendors are using propriatary N standards. I've read tests (12-16 months old now) that showed a drop in performance when mixing brands. The drop in throughput was seen across the spectrum of N/G/B.

- A cheaper alternative to purchasing a bridge is to make your own by flashig a router with the DDR-WRT firmware found HERE. Granted you void your product warranty, but it's a little cheaper than purchasing a bridge.

6. Apr 8, 2009 #6 of 21
    phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    You could also look into using powerline adapters to get a cable to that room and then using a switch once in that room to distribute the connection. It would be much more stable and more then likely offer you better speeds and throughputs.

7. Apr 9, 2009 #7 of 21
    funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    I've tried Wireless Repeaters in my house (which is over 100 years old and 4 floors) and had issues with latency, signal drop outs which in turn resulted in throughput issues and a lot of frustration and disappointment.

I had some decent luck using multiple wireless routers as Access Points but your device like laptops will only grab on to the first / strongest one it sees and not switch to the other one if you move. This is really a wireless design issue and not an issue with the hardware as wireless doesn't "Switch" like Cell Phones do at least not in the consumer level equipment.

Since then I've ended up with a single D-Link DWL-2100 which is an Access Point / Bridge and for whatever reason I get great coverage with a single one placed on the 3rd floor.

Do yourself a favor and go wired if at all possible. If that is not possible then go higher end Power Line, I've worked with them and they are ok but don't really offer great performance but should work fine for HR20's.

With that said I needed some kind of solution for my Home Theater and ended up running a single Cat 5e connection and placed a Netgear GS108T in there which is an 8 port Managed Switch that is very reasonably priced. The switch is uplinked to my main Dell 24 Port Gig switch. I have the following connected to the Netgear 8 Port - 2 HR20's, Slingbox Pro, HTPC and SliMP3.

8. Apr 9, 2009 #8 of 21
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Could you suggest something? I've been using computers for a long, long time, but I just "use" them. Before I stopped working I always had an IT group at my fingertips and never learned much about the workings of computers (I do have some knowledge, but would not call myself a "geek" by any stretch of the imagination).

Rich

9. Apr 9, 2009 #9 of 21
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How would that work with an ''N'' router?

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    God help me, I don't even know what "third-party firmware" is (I can get what it means from context), but how would you do that?

Looks like there might be a downside to using repeaters judging from the posts on this thread so far.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got a link? This sounds simple. I'll try to find one.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Before I start to feel like a complete simpleton, let me clarify what I'm looking for. I have two Linksys "Work Group Switches" that are hard wired. Here is a link:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/EZXS55W

My two switches are hard wired and work flawlessly. What I want is a wireless switch that would receive a signal from my router (N). The five ports are ideal for what I intend to do with it, which is, primarily, to download VOD. I already use one of my switches to do that and it works perfectly.

Now that I found that link, I think I'll give them a call. Any thoughts, directions, of any kind would be greatly appreciated.

I really don't understand "computer English". I do understand several other sub-languages of English, such as electrical English and baseball English, but I really let computers pass me by.

I can use the daylights out of a computer and have taught many classes on computer usage, but this sort of thing baffles me. Imagine yourself on an electrical job and being sent for an LR. That's how I feel when I'm listening to or reading about the mechanics of a computer.

Rich

13. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Check out http://www.dd-wrt.com

There are several manufacturers of wireless-ethernet bridges. These typically have 4 ethernet ports. You could also use a wireless gaming adapter (which has a single ethernet port) plus an ethernet switch (I do this using a Linksys WGA600N adapter and a EZXS55W switch). I have also used that switch with one of the Directv powerline adapters (85 Mbps HomePlug 1.0 Turbo).

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  15. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    That dlink unit looks like what you want but what brand of N access point do you use, if it's DLink also you should be good to go, if not there can be compatibility problems between N devices because the specification / standard has not been ratified / adopted yet.

16. Maui

Maui Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    I'm using one in my garage and the download speed from last test was 6.40 Mps. You can get them from D for $28.

17. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Here is what I have used before. They have worked in several different locations without issue so far. My average speed on connections is well above 100 Mbps.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=713

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My router is a D-Link.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just went to D*'s website and, naturally, it's confusing. Did you have to buy the whole $79 kit first? I want to be able to get the net to four HRs in my family room. This seems to be the most reasonable choice. From the little info on the website, it seems as tho I'd have to buy the $79 kit and three more of the $25 gizmos that you are using in your garage.

Wouldn't you think that the website would have more info? Seems like it was designed by a CSR with the help of one of their inept installers. :lol:

Anybody got any adverse comments on this device?

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* seems to have a similar gizmo that is cheaper.

Rich