1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Router problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Link, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I have DSL service with a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband router to use with my laptop. My dad has the same local DSL service and he got a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router and no matter what we do cannot get the internet to work on it.

The laptop sees the wireless network and connects to it but the internet won't work on either the laptop or the desktop that has a direct connection to the router. I noticed the DSL modem has a crossover cable the connects it to the computer or to the router, does this make a difference? We tried with it and without it and still nothing. Could the router be defective? I just don't recall ever having this much trouble hooking a router up!

2. JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    Contact Linksys...They should be able to help with troubleshooting.

3. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    I had the same trouble!! call your dsl providor and they will give you step by step instructions on how to "bridge" the pc to the internet connection..basically you have to build a static map

4. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    did you try resetting the router? Sorry, I couldn't help myself! :lol:

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I've NEVER had to do that.

Question: Is the "Internet" light on the front of the router on?

If there's a "LAN" or "Ethernet" light on the DSL modem, is it on?

If not, try a different cable - I suspect that's the problem.

6. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    I misspoke when i said static map..What I meant was that e router hed to be set to "bridge mode" in order to connect to the internet..Here's a link to what i was "trying" to talk about http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...php?t=15038+linksys+router+bridging+dsl&hl=en

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    If he's got the WRT54G that is the common Linksys 802.11g, then NO settings are needed. But then again, I've only installed 1-2 :rolleyes: dozen of them.

AFAIK, "bridge mode" refers to slaving one WAP to another - as a range extender.