1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Solution ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gwalk900, Dec 31, 2011.

1. gwalk900

gwalk900 New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I just completed a major remodeling job on kitchen and dining room. Wife decided well after the fact that she would like a new HDTV for the kitchen. She wants new tv wall mounted. The problem is there is no room for the reciever (currently HR21-700) and of course she don't want any cables showing.

Some of the LG's (preferred brand) seem to offer a wireless input. Looking at around a 37 to 42 size.

Looks like DTV has a wireless option but it seems to point more towards Direct Cinema than anything else. Rub there is I have Hughesnet for an ISP with a 425 MB usage allowance per day.

What I'm looking for I guess is a way to have the DTV reciever connect to the LAN side of my network and transmit it to the TV wirelessly...
    Is this do able ?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  3. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Do a search on "Wireless HDTV transmitter". You'll get lots of hits.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you have a closet on the other side of the wall you could get an H25 and just wall mount it. Then run the cable through the wall and use RF. Wireless could bring up more issues than you want to deal with.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The H25 is the size of a hard cover book. I believe you can buy a RF kit for it. So you could mount it behind the TV.

6. gwalk900

gwalk900 New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Thank You all for the replies. That gives me a starting place for further research.

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Moral of the story. You cannot run enough wire when you have the wall open. HDMI, a couple ethernet, a couple RG6, a run of coax terminated with RCA connectors for a subwoofer, seven pairs of speaker wire, and a couple runs of #10 power wire. Make some sort of access in a closet, or behind a piece of furniture or in a cabinet back. Run that set of wires to any possible place you might hook up a computer or any home media. It is cheap and easy to do when you have the wall open. And always reserve some cubic feet for media stuff.

Another thing to do when planning a new space is to see if there is a way to build in an infinite baffle subwoofer. If you do that be sure you have the correct cabling for a pro amplifier. Usually some runs of XLR and power cable.

8. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    Not a bad idea, but you end up running a lot of wire that you may never need. When I finished my basement, I built a closet to hold all my DVR and ethernet hubs. I then ran 1 1/2 inch electrical PVC to every room where I might need some type of connection. Originally all the cables were composite then later component and now HDMI. The only thing I would do differently now is I would have run 2 inch PVC instead of 1 1/2. Since I now run multiple HDMI cables to each TV, some of the conduit is getting quite full.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Consider HDMI wall plates. They're relatively cheap and you don't have to worry about fishing connectors and ferrites.

That and when it comes time to upgrade to a new standard, you stand a better chance of being able to use the existing CAT6 and just replace the wall plates.