1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wiring a home for Genie and Genie minis

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by HennyPenny, Dec 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. HennyPenny

HennyPenny New Member

Dec 13, 2013
    I am completely renovating a house. I would like to wire for Direct TV Genie before Drywall. What do I need?

2. Juanus

Juanus Legend

Jun 4, 2007
    There are a few threads on here about people who are building houses and what they have done. If you are renovating a house it is the same idea I would think. Here is a thread
    http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/200603-building-new-home-what-would-be-ideal-setup/
    My post is second to last on the second page. I think that the only thing that I would do differently is to run two of everything to each location. And even if I left one set in the wall, they are still there if/when I need them. I can upload some pictures of my setup all finished if you care to see.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You'll need a central utility closet where all lines (telephone, LAN, coax, etc.) are run to. Do to wives listening to decorators, expect your wired equipment to be moved to the other side of the room sometime while you're living there.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    At minimum you need one coax for any location you will have or may ever want a Directv receiver.

Going beyond that, you may want to run two coaxes to some/all of those locations, for an antenna connection if you can receive local stations you want to view but Directv does not provide. The second coax could also be used if you ever subscribe to both Directv and cable TV - apparently some people do.

Directv doesn't require ethernet, but it makes things a bit simpler if you have ethernet plugged into the Genie, so when you're planning your cat5e/cat6a runs you should add an extra where the Genie is or might go.

5. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    It happends three times a year in our house.... She has a Winter, Summer and a X-mas arangement... Drives me up a wall but, I love her :D

6. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I currently have 4 coax runs and 2 cat5 runs... one for DTV, one for Cable, one for OTA and one as a spare.. the two cat5 runs are for phone and ethernet.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would say, the best tip I can give you is to make sure that your Genie and clients are never more than 150 cable-feet from each other. Use the smallest splitter possible (although if you have only one splitter it makes less difference than if you had multiples.)

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    This is what I'd do. And central closet all home runs. And I'd still run at least on coax to any spot where you might connect a radio. And two anywhere you might put a computer with two Ethernet there to. You can't run to much cable! ;)

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    RG11 can be a "work around" if 150+ is must, right?

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Radio???? doesn't 'radio" come from the net nowadays...

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think he means the thing in your car you turn on if you want to hear commercials, which are sometimes interrupted by music.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Here in Los Angeles we actually have a few good radio stations that aren't filled constantly with commercials. And you'd be amazed at how many like talk radio too.

13. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Years ago we used to have a home Sirius radio in the living room the was fed an outdoor antenna mounted on the dish though a RG6 cable. Since then we have found it useless anywhere but in the car for long trips and sometimes even that is questionable.

14. vanduse1

vanduse1 Cool Member

Jul 3, 2007
    What is the latest requirements for the Coax runs from the dish to a central wiring closet? Will I need one or two coax lines?

I have one Genie, 2 DVRs, and a HD (non-dvr) receiver.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    one coax per location/receiver

16. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Your configuration has 10 tuners, so, you will need four RG-6 from dish to wiring closet to support the SWM - 16 switch.

17. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Place your "Closet" Next to or Close to the main Electrical Panel -This location will help keep you from having to relocate it -as in ever :)

18. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    In my home, I had the main circuit breaker panel place in a central location on the main level. The main panel in my basement just has the breakers for the basement and the whole home power surge along with a master off switch. Wanted to avoid the trip to the basement every time a breaker was tripped.

19. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If you locate your low voltage wiring panel in any one of those locations - It won't be remolded anytime soon

20. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And that's the worst thing you can do IMHO. Keep it as far as possible and preferably as close to the middle of the house as possible with conduit to wherever the outside lines come in from.

There's no reason to worry about relocating a wiring closet ever anyway once it's in.