1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wiring for HR44 install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by woodardhsd, Jun 14, 2013.

1. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    My current HR22 is barely alive these days, so I was going to try to upgrade to the new Genie HR44. Right now I only have the HR22 in the living room and an H24 in the upstairs bonus room. I've posted a pic of the my layout below. Will I need to add any more cable runs or other equipment if I can manage to get an HR44 and on of the genie mini clients?

[​IMG]

Sorry if this has been asked already, I tried searching and couldn't find it.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are you adding the HR44 as an additional room or are you replacing an existing receiver? From your layout I would replace the first 4 way with a 2 way splitter

3. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    You're good if you intend to replace the HR22 with the HR44 and replace the H24 with the mini client. The DECA near the HR22 would no longer be needed.

4. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    The tech didn't have any 2-ways so he had to use the 4-way. Any advantage to be gained by using the 2 over the 4?

That is the plan. Thanks for the info

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You get a stronger signal through the 2-way, but in many cases it doesn't matter.

1 person likes this.
  6. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    I'm getting an HR44 installed on Monday (I have it in hand), and an old HR20 replaced (with whatever's on the truck).
    My preference would be to connect the 44 and 3 older DVRs to the 65" Sammy in my theater room. (I have 3 other HRs in other rooms. For those doing the math, one HR2x will be set to one receiver.)
    The Sammy has 3 HDMI inputs. Can I use an HDMI switch to connect 2 DVRs to one input without having content-protection problems?

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'm getting an HR44 installed on Monday (I have it in hand), and an old HR20 replaced (with whatever's on the truck).
    My preference would be to connect the 44 and 3 older DVRs to the 65" Sammy in my theater room. (I have 3 other HRs in other rooms. For those doing the math, one HR2x will be set to one receiver.)
    The Sammy has 3 HDMI inputs. Can I use an HDMI switch to connect 2 DVRs to one input without having content-protection problems?

Sure, you just have to get the right HDMI switch. Power HDMI switches tend to be better when it comes to HDCP then passive ones. Www.monoprice.com is a good source

8. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Thanks!

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Do you have whole home service now?

10. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Not sure if you're asking me or the OP.
    I have WH, DECA modules at each box.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Was asking you, but since you've got it, and know what you're doing, suggesting you could use WH to connect the other unit seems a bit, uh, superfluous!

12. lucky13

lucky13 DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    It's more for the convenience of being able to see the service menus of more HRs in one location. Plus I can better fit them and several eSATAs on the equipment stand in that room.

Thanks.