1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring/Moving question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by F1aReD, Sep 8, 2012.

1. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    We are currently in the process of moving, and I have a couple of questions.

First, the location of the living room at the new house has no coax run into it- Is it possible to run a seperate line from the dish itself, (on the outside) right to the back of the receiver? My other option is to extend a wire that is currently in a closet (which runs to a splitter) and run it through the drop ceiling into the LR.

I know they usually run 1 wire from the dish into (usually the basement) up to the splitter and use the current wiring. All the other bedrooms are wired to the splitter set up for cable.

So, basically what I'm asking is if you can do both-2 lines from the dish, one to the LR tv and the other to a splitter feeding the bedrooms?

Also, should I expect any freebies for moving? I've had D* for less than a year, so a free install is all I want-just curious about potential upgrades.

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're options are either legacy, where there is one coax for each tuner, or single wire [SWiM] with splitters. You can't mix & match.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just an example:
    The installer that put mine in a few of months ago used the SWM system.
    About 8 feet from the dish he put in a splitter and had one run going east around the house to one room, then ran the other leg west around the house until he got to the den. At that point he put in another splitter and ran one wire into the den and one into the bedroom next to the den. All of this was done on the outside of the house.

4. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    So the installer could run a wire from the dish, to a 2way splitter with one going to the LR tv, and the other to the splitter for the rest of the rooms...? OR One wire from the dish to a single splitter for each room & I would have to extend the wire in the ceiling.

Thanks for the info.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If by "extending" you mean that you would splice on another piece of coax, I would not do that. Barrels and connections are the cause of many irritating problems later on.
    When the tech did mine I already had a dish and all the wiring in use. He did not like it and totally put in a new dish and wiring.

6. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    I only have 2 TVs anyways...The installer could just run a new wire from the outside splitter into the LR and use the bedroom wire that's there (which is run on the outside as well)

I don't prefer it on the outside, I just wanted to do it the "right" way, but this is my wifes grandfathers building...Everything else is run on the outside. And saves me time/hassle/money.