1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wish I have a Silo in our back yard...

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by HDTVFreak07, Jun 11, 2009.

1. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I'm getting all the local channels digitally without a problem here. I just wish I have a silo in our back yard so I can put an antenna on top and get ones from really far away. Like a hobby stuff! I'm already getting signals from approximately 80+ miles away and the signals REALLY strong.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Why a silo. Just build an antennal pole. I think solid signal sells parts :D

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    google "tv dxing"

Also, check out www.dxing.com/tvfmdx.htm

4. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    I would be surprised if it made much difference. Try entering two different heights on www.tvfool.com to see what happens at your location.

I have an antenna at 20' and another at 125'. They receive about the same number of stations.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    There is usually a threshold for channels at the 1 edge or 2 edge line where you move from one signal level to another, perhaps where you pass through are fraction line and suddenly your signal jumps 3dB, or stops moving at all.

You can see it with TVFool by moving up 10 ft at a time, the signal will gradually grow stronger, by .5 or even less dB, then suddenly it jumps 3-6 dB, or it stops growing by the regular amount and settles in with maybe a .1 or .2 dB gain for each 10 ft - you have reached the point of diminishing returns.

The 3db jump is more likely on UHF since it is more line of sight sensitive, whereas VHF is more able to bend over the horizon and afford you a gradual signal increase up to a point.