1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish List News, 10/31/07

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Happy Halloween, everyone, and thanks to the 522 voters who have taken the time to let DirecTV know how they value the various Wish List requests! Our voting sample size is now large enough to be 99% confident that if the entire HR20/21 user-base voted, the scores for each item would vary no more than 5.6% from the current results.

Another request is being moved to the "back burner" this week...
    • AUTOTUNE capability, similar to other DirecTV receivers.
    and one new request has been added to the list:
    • Ability to remotely control more than two HR20/21's in the same room via IR.
    If you haven't yet let D* know how you value this new request, or the other 90 items on the list, please do so here! Remember, it only takes a minute to update the items that were added since you last voted. And for new voters, registration is quick and painless, I promise! :)

WHAT'S HOT! Here are the top 20 requests:
    • Recording HISTORY should always display the correct reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".
    • OPTION to backup your HR20 settings and/or SERIES LINKS via network or USB drive.
    • Dual Live Buffers - Toggle between two live shows with 30+ minute buffers on each.
    • Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package in GUIDE and SEARCH results.
    • Allow editing of the "CHANNELS I GET" list, similar to the way the OFF-AIR channel list is editable.
    • Ability to edit all shows in the PRIORITIZER, even when there are none upcoming, page 28.
    • OPTION to display more GRID GUIDE information. More channels and hours.
    • Remember if the LIVE BUFFER is PAUSED, when using PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK.
    • Ignore irrelevant words or punctuation ("Manual:", A, An, The, 'Til) when alphabetically sorting MY PLAYLIST.
    • At the Delete/Don't Delete pop-up at the end of recording, RW and REPLAY should still function.
    • "BLACKED-OUT" programs should be tagged, to prevent scheduling blank recordings.
    • Add more program description INFO, to allow better SEARCHES and more show details, like "Original Air Date".
    • When an unexpected change to a scheduled recording's end time will conflict with scheduled recordings in the next time slot, do not cancel any recordings. Record one as a "partial".
    • Show program description in the "To Do List" and "History", instead of a static message.
    • Automatically pad a recording's start and/or stop time by one minute, when it won't cause a conflict.
    • Undelete, or the ability to allow user acccess to a "recycle bin" to restore a recording.
    • SERIES LINK recording options as follows: RECORD: [First Run/Repeat/Both/All with Duplicates]; KEEP AT MOST: [1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL]; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording]; AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [Y/N]
    • Implement SEARCH and AUTORECORD as described below, or the key concepts contained within: Top-level CATEGORY search, TITLE AUTORECORD, multiple keywords, wildcards, BOOLEAN logic, CHANNEL filters and REMOTE keypad shortcuts.
    • OPTION for the PROGRESS BAR to clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE.
    • Increase the maximum number of SERIES LINKS up from the current 50.

WHAT'S NOT! The 10 lowest scoring items (lowest last):
    • OPTION to disable grouping of shows on MY PLAYLIST.
    • Add a line on the info screen with date and time of last reboot.
    • Menu OPTION to set the front panel blue light brightness levels for all LEDs.
    • Configurable screen saver time. "Off", or a selectable time period.
    • The UP ARROW should toggle between the SD and HD versions of the current channel.
    • Ability to also play Music, Pictures and Video from a USB connected flash drive.
    • OPTION to RECORD a "hidden" SD duplicate when scheduling a recording or SERIES LINK.
    • EXIT should clear on-screen graphics during PLAYBACK, but never EXIT to Live TV.
    • Ability to toggle channel banner between full width and only channel/logo/time/date.
    • User-selectable PROGRESS BAR display time, like the Info Banner: [1/2/4/6 seconds]. Hitting PLAY while in normal play mode will display the bar for 6 seconds.

Only 30 of the 90 current Wish List requests are contained in this post. You may view the entire list here.

/steve

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Great job, Steve!

3. Spongeweed

Spongeweed AllStar

Sep 15, 2006

By 'auto tune' you are referring to the OTA scan feature promised in the manual?
    PLEASE, we need this asap! :)

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    No, AUTOTuNE was a feature request to allow you to schedule when the HR20 would change the current LIVE channel, but not RECORD it. Unfortunately, it was the Wish List request with the most THUMBS DOWN from voters. /steve

5. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I love this list...

You do great work Steve! Thanks!

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I know Steve told you what it is but take a look at the link in my signature for more info and what it is nice to be used for.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thanks, Mark. Appreciate the kind wods. :)

Maintaining the list is generally fun, but I do feel bad when I have to put my editor's hat on and knock requests off the list or be reluctant to add new requests that aren't "no brainers", because I know they're important to some, but unfortunately not the majority.

I think it's important to keep the list as uncluttered as humanly possible to keep D* as focused as possible on the top 40-50 items that the majority have shown they really value. These are basically all the GREEN and YELLOW GREEN items you see on the results page. There will be some more "pruning" in the current weeks, based on how items are scoring, but I suspect the list is not going to get much shorter than 70-75 items, which is still huge, compared to TiVo's 29 item Wish List, and the VIP 622/722's 26 or so items.

That being said, if folks haven't updated their surveys in a while, please be sure to re-evaluate your previous selections and to vote on any new ones that may have been added since your last visit. Those will be highlighted in BLUE to make it easy for you to spot them. And remember, if you don't vote on a new item, we've automatically pre-voted a "NEUTRAL" on your behalf. It's up to you to vote THUMBS UP or DOWN if you feel more strongly about an item!

/steve

8. Splendor

Splendor Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    I (heart) DLB

9. OneHump

OneHump Mentor

Oct 24, 2007
    As someone who recently moved from an HR10, the single biggest annoyance, aside from DLB, is that the cursor is reset to the top of the list when pressing list. I understand you can go "back, back", but I think thing going back to where you were in list, as Tivo does, would be far better.

10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Nice job, Steve.

Oh, and BTW.. I also (heart) DLB.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    This is one of my pet peeves as well! I like to bounce back and forth on the PLAYLIST, and it's a royal PITA to constantly have to scroll back down. /s

12. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    I'm curious as to how you come to the conclusion that there is a 99% confidence level for all HR20/21 users. I would agree that there is probably a 99% confidence level for all dbstalk HR20/21 users; but I'm not convinced that you have a random sample of ALL HR20/21 users.

My guess is that 99% of the general HR20/21 user base would only understand 5.6% of the wish list items. :grin:

That being said, I think the dbstalk community is THE perfect place to poll users and the results are in the best interest for the whold HR20/21 user base.

Keep up the good work.

Steve

13. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks again for your efforts Steve. Given the current state of things, I took a pass through my votes and removed most of my positive votes for things on my 'nice to have' list in favor of things that I consider "broken" or seriously lacking features.

14. Splendor

Splendor Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    +1

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You're right. I should say that if all eligible voters made their thoughts known, 99% of them would vote +/- 5.6% of those who did vote. (I'm using one of the many web "sample size" calculators, BTW.)

That being said, when I vote, I keep my non-technical wife, mother's and daughter's needs in mind, based on my observations of their DVR usage. I suspect many others on here do the same, while some just vote based on their individual needs.

Many users on DBSTalk, such as Capmeister, e.g., have been eloquent advocates for family members or friends with special needs. In that respect, I think even non-DBStalker's are represented here.

/steve

16. rucknrun

rucknrun AllStar

Jul 16, 2007
    I may be late to the party on this. Since the receiver has 2 tuners built in why not give us a PIP option. With 99% of HDTV's being 16:9 you could offer a split tv option. I know the fact that my PIP does not work with DTV kind of bothers me.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    While the HR2x series can take two streams in, it is limited by its hardware and can only output one stream.

18. rucknrun

rucknrun AllStar

Jul 16, 2007
    Ahhh. That makes sense. I would really like PIP though.

19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    A real shame since this feature is the one thing that could mave made the receiver better for young kids. Now all the pre schoolers will be stuck on one channel till the parents come over and change it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.