1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Witches of East End" premiering October 6

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Sep 27, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Because it's on Lifetime and the name sounds a lot like the one season 2009-10 ratings flop on ABC, I thought I should at least give the show a promo here. The show stars...

[​IMG]
    This is a good cast for a Lifetime show. Julia Ormond is pretty well known and an Emmy winner. You might know Jenna Dewan-Tatum from last year's "American Horror Story", but she is a dancer who toured with a number of star singers, has been in a number of music videos, and yes she is married to Channing Tatum. Rachel Boston was a regular in "In Plain Sight" though I remember her from "American Dreams". Madchen Amick has been on a lot of shows starting with a role as "teenage girl - Anya" in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" in 1989, but received award nominations for her performance as a regular in "Twin Peaks". Yes there are actually men in this show.

Here's a short trailer:

[youtubehd]3wbJTUfUS7g[/youtubehd]​

2. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    My first impression, purely based on the promo, is more of "Charmed," only with four attractive brunette witches instead of three -- and with a cover version of "Come As You Are" instead of a cover version of "How Soon Is Now?"

3. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Probably fairly accurate! It is on Lifetime, after all.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually I was hoping for a " somewhat older" audience orientation. "Charmed" was considered "family entertainment" on The WB, a network that generally targeted a young demo though all the actresses who played the three (or four) sisters were 26± when the show premiered in 1998

This show stars 48 (Julia Ormond), 33 (Jenna Dewan-Tatum), 31 (Rachel Boston) and 43 (Mädchen Amick), and the male love interests are 37 (Eric Winter) and 30 (Daniel DiTomasso, the youngest of the crowd). Somehow I think the target demo is going to be more "all-embracing." The production company is Fox 21 known for "Sons of Anarchy", "Homeland", "Breakout Kings", etc. It is based on the novel of the same name by an author about who In Melissa de la Cruz on Writing for Adults, we read:

Lifetime (which was known as "Television for Women" until 2006) bought this and is controlling it. They hired producer/writer Maggie Friedman whose last project was "Eastwick" I guess because she's experienced in writing about witches with a primary cast being ages 30-40.

Lifetime's most recent ratings brag was "Network Posts +10% Jump among Total Viewers and Adults 25-54". Wikipedia describes The WB: