1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

with am21 dvr blanks when fast forwarding

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hornmdt, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1 of 22
    hornmdt

hornmdt AllStar

Sep 8, 2008
    Does anyone else have this problem? I have 2 HR23s with an AM21 connected and when I record an OTA show most (not all) of the time when I later watch it I can't fast forward through the commercials because the screen blanks (goes black) except for a couple of inches at the top thereby making it impossible to tell when the commercials are over and the show has resumed.

It doesn't do this every time but both machines exhibit this same behavior.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Nov 3, 2011 #2 of 22
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I haven't seen that before. I wonder if it has something to do with the particular channels.

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 22
    Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    My HR21-100 and two HR22-100s all do it just as you've described.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4 of 22
    gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilviv
    It happened again! When FF or 30SLIPing on a recording of "Terra Nova", "House", or now "X-Factor" all on FOX, I see the image slipping only on the top 1/4 of the screen(I call it the banner area) the other 3/4's remains black or locks on a part of the forwarding image but does not slip forward. OTA to the DVR produced the same results for those shows. Has not shown up on anything else LIVE or recorded other than the 3 mentioned shows. Is it a FOX problem? Ideas? Who fixes this?

SEE MY ORIGINAL THREAD
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=197841

I was able to recreate the problem: I recorded "House" on FOX twice, 1 from the D* feed off my locals, the other from the AM21(OTA) to my HR24-100 only the OTA recording has the problem described. It only happens on the FOX local channel(OTA), no other OTA network.

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5 of 22
    hornmdt

hornmdt AllStar

Sep 8, 2008
    I've had it happen on other networks than FOX. CBS for sure. Only on OTA recordings though. I used to record all the network shows via OTA in case there was a thunder storm or something that knocked out the sat signal. That was with my HR20 that has an OTA input but after I got a HR22 with the AM21 I had to stop because I could not see when to stop fast forwarding and begin watching the show again. Doesn't do it 100% of the time but usually does it.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 22
    RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I have had this happen, but it has been extremely infrequent (maybe one show a month, and most of what I watch is OTA). It has happened with both of my HR20-700's and my HR22 attached to an AM21, so it is not specific to the AM21. It also has happened at least on CBS and NBC as I recall. It is also not show specific. There are some programs I record on two DVRs because I don't want to miss them. On one occasion I recorded a football game on CBS on two DVRs, and it happened on one recording, but when I switched to the other DVR, it was fine. I don't watch much FOX except for football, so I don't know about Fox locally.

SMK

7. Nov 4, 2011 #7 of 22
    tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Porter, TX
    Yep. I've seen this issue quite frequently on the AM21 for over 2 years. The CBS and FOX stations in Houston are the only ones where it happens to me. I've never seen the issue on ABC or NBC. Never happens at all when viewing or recording the local stations via satellite feed.

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8 of 22
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Is this what you guys are seeing?

AM21.jpg

In my case, it was related to an issue with a version of the receiver's firmware. A newer version eventually fixed it and I haven't yet seen it on the version I'm currently on.

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 22
    bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    I've seen problems like this on an AM-21 and also on a HR20-700 (built-in OTA). I only see it on OTA channels that have no subchannels. Fox (32-1 in Chicago) and CBS (2-1) both have troubles here. That's why those two channels are the only ones that I could watch OTA, but I watch off the satellite instead. I guess it has something to do with the high bit rate MPEG-2 signals.

10. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    I have a similar situation, again only on my Fox channel and only when I've recorded OTA on my AM-21. But instead of a blank screen, I have multi images, including the top sliver, as y'all have described. Fortunately, I can see the TV-14 logo or whatever in the corner of the screen to alert me when the program is back on.

11. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I have the fast forward issue on all my receivers w/AM-21's. Has not mattered what SW version and it is on all my local channels when playing back a recorded show.

12. hornmdt

hornmdt AllStar

Sep 8, 2008
    That is what is seen but no s/w version yet has fixed it in my case.

13. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    I am having the same issue. AM21n>HR24. This only happens on the OTA channels. Live or Recorded, doesn't matter. I was assuming it had something to do with the MPEG2 feeds, but it doesn't happen on any MPEG2 feeds from the satellite. If I use 1x FF, then I don't see the black screen. Anything faster and the blackscreen appears.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I occasionally see that but its almost always on FOX...I rarely have that on NBC, CBS, or ABC. It seems to me it was determined to be something in the way FOX encodes the signals....or something along those lines.

15. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I don't know enough about how it all works, but I do agree with you on it mostly being a FOX thing, at least for me. It has never happened with any other network on my DVR's OTA recordings .:nono2:

16. hornmdt

hornmdt AllStar

Sep 8, 2008
    Definitely not only a FOX thing. I've gotten it on all 4 networks. Question is does Directv even know they have a bug here?

17. chdoud

chdoud Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    I always have the problem on my local PBS on HR21->AM21. I have never called it in so not sure if Directv knpws....

18. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I feel so much better now. I have experienced this issue intermittently on my OTA channels for quite a while. At first I thought it was related to 720P vs. 1080i, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, I thought it was such a strange issue that I never reported it--I was sure people would think I was going crazy. :grin:

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Actually I feel that it might be a 720 vs 1080 issue, as all the PBS stations I know of are 720 as well, FOX, ABC, PBS, are actually the 3 stations I have seen this behavior on, and in my DMA, all 3 are 720....

20. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    That was my initial thinking as well, but the issue is intermittent. If it were related to the resolution, I would think that the behavior would be consistent.