DBSTalk Forum banner

Without MVR - DECA or Ethernet?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tratliff 
#1 ·
I've got an HR24 and H24 co-located in an equipment rack. The upgrade installation included the SWM and a DECA.

I know there is much discussion on the DECA vs Ethernet issue but it typically relates to MVR or Connected Home installations.

I have dropped MVR/Whole Home DVR since I won't ever use it and am unsure wether I need to keep the DECA in the system.

Assuming a direct router connection is available for each receiver and MRV is not needed, would it be better to just use a direct ethernet connection to each receiver or continue to use the DECA?

What are the pluses and minuses?

#2 ·
Ok, I guess the big question is what are you trying to accomplish? Sharing of recordings (MRV) or just getting VOD. If you want to share recordings, you need to have MRV enabled and pay the $3 per month fee. In that case DECA or direct ethernet would work the same. I f you just want VOD, then ethernet to the router would be adequate.

#3 ·
As I said originally, I don't want or need to share recordings. That's why I dropped MRV and stopped paying the $3/mo.

The receivers do need to be connected to internect to use VOD though.

So on a non-MVR system there are no benefits of DECA vs direct ethernet?

#4 ·
Really no plus or minus, the bit rate on VOD is so small that it doesn't matter what you use. Since the DECA is internal on both of your receivers that would be the easiest way to get VOD to the boxes (if they connected a DECA module to your router.)

#5 ·
tratliff,

According to your original post, you have a DECA module connecting your HR24 and H24 to your LAN for VOD and don't need or want MRV.

Keeping the DECA module does not cost anything and does not cause any issues. On the other hand, getting rid of the DECA module and going with just ethernet will not cost anything (*) and will also not cause any issues. The limiting factors for VOD are the speed and reliability of your internet connection and the speed of the VOD servers and those are the same either way.

* If your router is not located close to your HR24 & H24, you would need either a second ethernet cable between the router and STB's or an inexpensive ethernet switch co-located with the STB's.​

IMO, the adage about "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" applies. The DECA setup you have is OK and it leaves the option to change your mind about MRV if the situation changes. If the DECA module goes bad, switching to ethernet then would be the same as switching now.

FWIW, my usage is the complete opposite of yours. MRV is used constantly (and works well), but VOD has been a disappointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.