1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMM Poll Redux

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Wireless Networking (private)' started by leww37334, Sep 29, 2009.

1. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    I would like to respond to a couple of issues in the poll I posted. Since it is closed I cannot respond there.

1. You can access the WET 610 no matter how you configured it. You open the network configuration window in Vista, you find what IP address has been assigned to the WET and then you HTTP into the WET610. Simple.

2. WMM makes a demonstrable difference in the performance of MRV between my two HR-22/100's. It is demonstrable AND repeatable. And yes, I have WMM turned on on my router.

2. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have found Item 1 to NOT be the case if you configure through WPS or via the HR2x. The only way I was ever able to directly connect to the WET was if I configured it by first attaching it to my router, per the setup instructions provided with the bridge.

If I configure via the HR2x or WPS, the bridge does not show up under my Vista network - I only see the HR2x attached to it. What's more, Norton 360 sees the HR2x and shows the IP address the HR2x was given, but shows the MAC address of the WET. If I try to use the IP address in a browser, nothing happens.

Even the instructions with the bridge and notes at the Linksys site support that you can only connect to the bridge via a browser if you've pre-configured the bridge via your router, so I'd love to know how you got in if you configured via WPS or the HR2x ...

3. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    I assign all IP addresses on my network, when I first hooked the unit to my HR-22, it took an IP address from my router, I then went into my router, found the MAC address for the unit and set up a DHCP reservation so that the HR-22 always received 192.168.0.199 when it requested an IP address.

I have reset the WET 610 to factory default a couple of times and this has always worked.

Are you aware of this unit having DIRECTV specific firmware, if so I am more than willing to reprogram it with that firmware. If you can provide me a link to it.

If the WET 610N does share the same IP address as the HR-22 while having a different MAC address, that has the potential to cause some serious network problems.

4. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    In my case, WPS does work correctly and the WET gets an IP address via DHCP.
    Getting to the WET after using the receiver to configure is another story.

WPS is by far the easiest way to configure this WET. The receiver wizard is painfully slow for me to use. It never finds my SSID even though it is broadcasted. Entering in my security key is a chore and a half, even worse for your 64 character key :)

5. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    OK further update, I got the WET back to the original factory default, now I also can no longer HTTP into the WET. I fired up MS Network Monitor and it looks like all the communications are being handled by 239.255.255.250 (multicast/UPNP)?.

Oh and I now get unable to access media errors on everything I try to play.

I will continue to test using the Directv multicast approach, but it is clear that it does not work on my network.