1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WNBC available in the LA area

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by elaclair, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 7, 2007 #1 of 20
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Has anyone checked this out? I got an automated call from D* last night indicating that for $5.99/month I can get the East Coast NBC feed. What happened to the distant feed restrictions?

Ed

2. Jun 7, 2007 #2 of 20
    ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    What exactly did the call say? Just NBC is available? I wonder if I can get KNBC on the east coast?

3. Jun 7, 2007 #3 of 20
    carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Really? What did the recording say you had to do to get the East coast feed?

Since you're down the cost from me (and part of the San Diego market), we're both elligible for the NBC-West HD channel. I've had that for awhile now.

4. Jun 7, 2007 #4 of 20
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Big deal! Just more network nonsense, junky show!

5. Jun 7, 2007 #5 of 20
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  6. Jun 7, 2007 #6 of 20
    celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    its great to have the east coast feeds even in sd i have more options for recording programs, plus during football season you can watch games from the east coast i think last year i got to see about 3 or 4 new england patriots football games that weren't shown on cbs here in los angeles.

7. Jun 7, 2007 #7 of 20
    ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    So is the conclusion that this is only available to people in "rural" areas? Can anybody on the east coast get KNBC (SD or HD)?

8. Jun 7, 2007 #8 of 20
    Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    I can get the SD feed of FOX out of LA in addition to the one in NY. I dont watch it anymore though because of the HD feed and my HD tivo so..I could probably drop it
    and save the $1.50 a month.

9. Jun 8, 2007 #9 of 20
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    The call was for my house in Lake Arrowhead, which is part of the LA DMA. The call stated that it was being offered to subscribers in the Los Angeles area, and for $5.99/month, you can subscribe to channel 382 WNBC . It's definitely the SD feed, but I was still surprized that they were making it available to "the general public".

VOS brought up the other thread that's been posted on it, sorry I didn't see it before I started this new thread. :sure:

Ed

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    If someone can get more information on this it would be interesting. The law is pretty clear - if Satellite offers your locals you may not get distants, even if you live in a white area. The exception is grandfathering. Could this be an automated mistake? Did NBC O&O KNBC decide to give a blanket waiver? Or is Direct TV using a company like NPS as Dish does? Further, it is my understanding you cannot give a distant that offers programming earlier than your DMA local does. (Applies to the satellite providers only - not NPS)

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I have two DNS networks. It really comes down to your local station.
    Since NBC New York & Los Angeles are both owned by NBC [I think], they may have offered a blanket waiver for just those two markets. This is SD programing which can still be from "the other coast" unlike HD which comes only from the adjacent time zone.

12. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    tamp8, the restriction on earlier only applies to digital(HD) channels and DIRECTV has extended that to later ones as well. :(

13. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    I'm in New Jersey and I get KNBC in SD, my zip is 08008.

14. BarryS14

BarryS14 Mentor

Jan 16, 2006
    Did you call DirecTV and got it?

15. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Anyone who lives in the L.A. DMA can get WNBC. Since NBC owns them both, it's up to them whether they wanted to do this or not.

16. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    JohnH - You are correct - the time zone issue only applies to digital signals from the station. SO many rules and regs ........... The most plausable explantion would be the O&O one.

17. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    What about other O&Os?
    NBC in DC is owned by GE (WRC, as in RCA)

18. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    How's LBI doing now? I grew up there, in Beach Haven. While I do miss the ocean, I DON'T miss the turists!

19. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    If you live in an area with no OTA and no local HD from D*, you may receive the HD feed from either coast, as long as it does not result in your seeing a program before you would normally view it in your time zone.

I have the choice of HD networks from NY or LA. You can check eligibility on the D* website, and call D*'s HD DNS Qualification Department if the website shows that you qualify.

I have posted this many, many times in the last few months. No offense to you guys, but the info will have to come from somewhere else from now on!

20. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    I know the rules. :)
    I was just wondering if anyone knew whether this apparent NBC waiver applied only to NY & LA, or was good for its other O&Os.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.