1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WNBC Sound Problems

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by erlebs, Mar 29, 2011.

1. erlebs

erlebs New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Last night I had recorded the Presidential address from WNBC in NY. When I watched it later, about halfway through the address the sound became garbled. Syllables were being dropped. The DISH receiver (722) is plugged into an AV receiver. When the syllables were dropped, it appeared the AV receiver was trying to change formats away from Dolby Digital. I confirmed it was not a problem with the AV receiver, since I saw the same issue on the 2nd TV connected to this DISH receiver via the co-ax output.

I tried recycling the receiver and it did not fix the problem. The problem continued on the next 2 shows I recorded from WNBC. I then went to live TV and had the same problem. This morning, the problem was gone. Did anyone else see a problem like this, or has anyone seen a problem like this in the past?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    The problem I noticed on the recording of Harry's Law from last night on the HD feed of WNBC was the sound cutting in and out.

3. erlebs

erlebs New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Glad to know it wasn't just me then.

4. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    @erlebs - Were you watching the HD version like garys?

Also it sounds like it could be a channel issue. I'll make operations aware of it to be safe. Did the same problem happen yesterday/last night?

5. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    Audio problems is the reason I jumped on the forum this morning.
    I live on the opposite side of the country but have been experiencing lots of audio drop-outs on many HD channels for the past couple of months. I first noticed it on the Starz channels that were added during the Dish 30th anniversary celebration. Since I'd not had these channels, I thought it was just them (and they are still the worst offenders). But the same audio drop-outs are happening with less frequency on the national networks, HBO, Showtime, and other channels as well. Nothing has changed on my end that I can tell. I contacted Dish about Starz and they said, "We are aware of the problem." At that time I didn't ask about other channels.

- EDIT -

I searched the forums looking for recent topics/posts about this issue. Nothing found but this thread. Is everyone else rock-solid with their audio, or are others also having problems with loss of audio?

6. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    There are two audio issues I'd like to see finally addressed.

One, the audio levels for the premium channels are atrocious. Not only are the levels inconsistent between different companies, they are inconsistent within the same company. Why is this so difficult to get right?

Two, I've lost count how many times I've seen at the beginning of a movie that it will be presented in Dolby Digital 5.1, only to find it's not. Yet, every once in awhile one will sneak through and be presented in DD5.1 audio. I understand it also says, "Where available", but on a completely digital system like DISH, why isn't it always available?

7. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    If we've completely hijacked this thread, a bigger issue for me is the difference in volume level from HD to non-HD channels. It is at least 10db. I leave music on most of the day. If I watch a recorded HD show, when it ends and the music comes back on, the music just about knocks you our of the room. Seems like Dish could compensate for the higher average volume level of SD programming. The same thing happens when you switch from a HD channel to any SD TV show. Very annoying.

8. erlebs

erlebs New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes, I was watching the HD version. It had not happened before or since. Unfortunately it messed up The Event. My household is not happy. :(

9. TommyF@DISH Network

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    What type of receiver do you have? If you have a 222k, 612, 722k, or 922 try activating volume leveling and see if that helps at all. If not, then as it's in the compression the volume difference is normal.

Know what you mean. If it happens again post here, it's possible it may have been a channel provider issue they fixed if the problem hasn't come back.

10. erlebs

erlebs New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I don't think it was a specific program issue, since it continued from about 7:45 PM EDT past 11:00 PM. I'm not sure when it finally cleared up, but it was better by 6:30 AM the next morning.

11. TommyF@DISH Network

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Edited my post to make it sound better.

12. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    We have a ViP722. I've never seen an option for "volume leveling". Where is it found? Is it one of those options that compresses the dynamic range of HD audio?
    Thanks!

13. TommyF@DISH Network

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    The 722 doesn't currently support it, only the receivers above do at this time. I have forwarded it to see if it would be possible to adapt it to other models though.

To answer the question though, it is usually found in System Setup(6) -> Audio Output(7), and the HD is already compressed, I don't know the technical behind it, but it does try to keep volume levels consistent between programming and commercials, and help prevent the drastic volume changes when switching between HD and SD.

14. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    If it's like most limiters, say goodbye to the dynamic range. Probably most people won't care that a bird chirping and a car crash sound equally as loud or that there's a whoosh during the attack phase. It's interesting that the preferred method to fix the audio levels is to use a limiter rather than getting the provider to adjust the audio properly.

What about the DD5.1 issue? Any thoughts on why DD5.1 isn't always available?

15. Poco Askew

Poco Askew AllStar

Sep 25, 2007
    I don't have it available to try anyway, but it may be more of a compressor that makes quiet passages louder and loud passages more quiet. Is so, I agree - not a good solution. Hopefully it is a normalizing algorithm to keep dynamic range but adjust to consistent average volume. Dunno...