1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WNC vs. Eagle-Aspen LNB Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Stanley Kritzik, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I have a Slimline dish with a set of WNC LNBs; live on cool-to-cold Wisconsin, and I have a few questions.

First -- is there any truth to the item that the WNC device can/does fail in cold weather?

Second -- assuming that one wants to buy a replacement LNB made by Eagle-Aspen, where can such a purchase be made?

Third -- if a switch was made from WNC to Eagle-Aspen, is there normally any need to re-aim the dish?

TIA for some advice!

Stan

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    WNC SWM is the LNB reported to have problems with cold. All AU9 LNBs are interchangable without reaiming. AT9 LNBs had to be replaced with the same manufacturer that is why they are replaced with AU9 automatically when they have problems.

3. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    You're refering to the SWM LNB's. Those are the ones that have cold weather issues. I actually have the WNC SWM LNB on my dish that I self installed and it hasn't failed me at all, then again it doesn't get that cold here in NC. If I were you I wouldn't waste time switching to an Eagle Aspen LNB, not that they're bad thats actually what was on my dish before I purchased the SWM LNB, but if you do decide to switch, the LNB's are easy to replace just becareful not to move the dish while replacing!! As far as purchasing one I would give solid signal a call and tell them exactly what you are looking for to ensure they don't send you another WNC, they are very helpful folks over at solid signal!!

4. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I've had the AU9 dish for a long time with some very cold sub-zero weather, and never had a problem until last night. Nothing worked at daybreak, and when I tried to restart the HR21, it stayed on "searching for satellite" endlessly, followed by a "771" for tuner 1 and 2. I finally went to work, came home at noon -- with some sun on the dish at 40+ degrees, and everything returned to normal; I got satellite info., all channels OK on all three receivers, etc.

So, obviously, the cold at night got to the dish's LNB array or built-in multi-switch, since, other than a couple of off/on power cycles, I did nothing to wires, connectors, etc. Also, Solid Signal does not have Eagle-Aspen LNB product, so I have to live with my WNC equipment. This brings me to the subject of heat tape, since I can easily run a power cord to the dish.

Where should the heat tape go, assuming it may do some good? Behind the faces of the three LNBs are three thin support necks, and behind them is the big oval main support element. I could easily wrap the heat tape around the necks, but I don't know if some heating there would help.

If anyone has some ideas or experience, I'd appreciate a response. The heat tape has a built-in thermostat, so it's not a case of "frying" the LNBs. I'm open for any and all ideas or suggestions.

Stan

5. Birdman79

Birdman79 Legend

Apr 7, 2007
    Look at the serial #on the WNC lnb,if it read rev-1 that should be cold weather proof.At least that's what we were told.

6. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks, I'll look. Meanwhile, messing with this wonderful site, I found a "do it yourself" heat tape installation that I'm going to try. It's heat tape, clothespins, waterproof tape, etc. It's worth a try, and no damage to the dish, LNBs, etc. I can easily run power from a nearby outlet to the dish. The web site is:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=136096&highlight=dish+heater

Stan

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Since you are using a SWM-8 it looks like you have a standard WNC 5 LNB. This is not affected by the issue.

It is only the SWMLine version that had some issues in the early version.

I had a WNC 5 LNB for years without issue in VERY cold weather.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You've been told bad information.

The new WNC SWM lnbs that have had the zero degree issue corrected are:
    SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1
    SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1

The following could potentially have the zero degree issue:
    SL3S-WNC
    SL5S-WNC
    SL3SPIG-WNC
    SL5SPIG-WNC
    SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1
    SL5SPIG-WNC Rev 1

9. Dec 9, 2009 #9 of 16
    Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have a WNC-SWM-LNB that has been working flawless for a couple of years until last night. We got to -20F according to my deck therometer last night. The HR22-100 started looking for signal at about -10 and this morning both the HR22-100 and HR21-700 had 0 signal strength yet my HR20-700 was working fine. Can I assume they will come back when it warms up or do I need to start looking for a new SWM-LNB?

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It'll be fine once it warms up.

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I'd invest in a call to D* if the problem is cold weather CO. is probably going to see more before it warms up, and I would hope D* will replace it free.:)

Why resurrect an 8 mo. old thread instead of starting a new one?

12. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    It did come back today but I am concerned that we may have a very cold winter this year.

I was doing a search and I guess I thought it might be better to bring the thread back if others were having the same issue.

13. det058

det058 Cool Member

May 21, 2004
    I just had a WNC LNB (SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1) replaced this morning that was giving me the 771 error message when the temps dropped below zero. The new LNB is an Eagle Aspen model, so I'm looking forward to not having problems going forward.

Ironically enough, the old WNC LNB replaced the original LNB that was installed with my SlimLine Dish last December. I'm not sure if the tech knew what he was doing, as the old WNC LNB wasn't attached with anything but coax. Chances are he just replaced one WNC LNB with another and the weather didn't get cold enough until last week to notice it. I'm hoping that the third LNB will be the charm!

In my opinion, if you're having problems with a WNC LNB and cold weather, it's worth the call to DirecTv to get it replaced.

14. Mike S

Mike S New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I have a SL3SPIG-WNC Rev. 1 LNB that failed in December 2010 and again in January 2011 due to cold temperatures. It was replaced today by a DirecTV tech who informed me that it had been recalled by DirecTV. Evidently, about 2000 of these units were mistakenly sent to the Denver area and installed about 2 years ago despite the fact that they were not designed for cold temperatures (below approx. 20 deg. F). My unit failed consistently between 0 and 5 deg. F. I have 3 receivers in the house. They would all fail over a time period of about 30 minutes. They did not fail simultaneously because the attenuation (signal loss) on the 3 coax cables from the splitter to the 3 receivers differed slightly due to different cable lengths, no. of connectors, moisture in the cables, etc. Although the LNB will work when temperatures rise, call DirecTV if you have this type of LNB and have them replace it.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Here's the list from two years ago:

The following could potentially have the zero degree issue:
    SL3S-WNC
    SL5S-WNC
    SL3SPIG-WNC
    SL5SPIG-WNC
    SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1
    SL5SPIG-WNC Rev 1

The new WNC SWM lnbs that have had the zero degree issue corrected are:
    SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1
    SL3WMPR1-WNC Rev 1

[Thanks to RobertE]

16. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Here are the a couple ive taken out that were bad.

SL3S4NR2-01
    SL5S4NR2-01

obviously same part number, one 3 one 5 both are brown insert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]