1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Won a PS3, should I keep it?

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by spartanstew, Feb 14, 2012.

1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I recently won a PS3 and it should arrive on Thursday.

Now, I need to figure out whether or not I should keep it.

I'm not really a gamer, but we have a Wii for the kids. They're 6 and 9 and love it.

Obviously, it's not HD and it's not the same as a PS3, but for kids it seems more than adequate (they play Mario Cart, all the Lego Games - Batman, Indy, and lately have been playing SkyLanders).

So, what are the advantages of the PS3 that I might want? I know it's also a Blu Ray player, but I already have 4 Blu Ray Players everywhere I'd need one.

Will my kids soon outgrow the Wii?

Even though I'm getting it for free, games will cost a bit of money that I don't really have right now.

Is it that much of a better gaming experience for 6 and 9 year olds?

Thoughts welcome.

2. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Tough Call. I would say keep it. If its a newer PS3 then it plays Blu-Ray, has the ability to be wired (or wireless) to connect to internet and do things you want your DVR to do.

Plus the 9 year old may eventually play games on it. There are kids games for the PS3..

If you don't want it, I'll give you $100 plus shipping.

3. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Shipping is about $100.

4. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I miss my PS3. :(

I had one of the first models, and mine got the dreaded YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death). I intend on replacing it one of these days, but I can't justify the expense at this time.

I can't speak as to whether or not you'd want to keep it, but it's a great media player, and as woj027 stated, there are kid's games available for it, including several HD versions of games you mentioned for the Wii, as well as games like the Ratchet And Clank games, and Little Big Planet that have games at decent prices whenever you can afford them.

~Alan

5. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    :eek2: wow... try UPS or FedEx... they a bit cheaper that the Postal Service..:lol:

If thats an attempt at negotiations on selling it, I'm willing to up the ante some.

Which PS3 is it? Limited Edition?

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't know which PS3 it is until I get it on Thursday.

7. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    So, if I kept the PS3, would there be any need for the Wii?

The PS3 has a motion adapter now, correct? Would be able to do the Wii things like ping pong and baseball and bowling?

8. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    depending on the version of PS3 that you get, it will either come with the "Move" motion adapter, or you buy one separately - $40 or so

Yes it can replace the wii. Different games, fun games, definitely kid friendly games.

9. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    also, you could probably find "used" games for a decent price at your local video game re-seller (typically a strip mall location, or at some "game" stores)

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Not all Wii games are on the PS3 (and obviously vice versa). I'd keep both...

You can get some games for the PS3 that does motion control if you have their motion control (PS3 Move), but I still wouldn't consider the PS3 as a replacement.

~Alan

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The Wii is best in terms of first party games. The titles that Nintendo controls that no one will ever get (Mario is essentially the keys to the Kingdom - and not just the Mushroom Kingdom). And it plays the best Mario Kart game there is, Double Dash, which the new one coming out won't. I'd keep it.

12. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I would keep it and use it for either, games, bluray player, netflix ........; It has a good amount of features. I have one mainly as a bluray player got it in 2006 and only have 2 games for it. XBOX serves the gaming needs.

13. shuye

shuye AllStar

Oct 20, 2008
    I'd keep it. We have a Wii and Xbox. The Wii is great for younger kids as the games seem oriented more towards that age group. We have a 8 year old and a 4 year old. If you kids like sports games, there are many sports games and racing games that they would like on the PS3.

I am having a difficult time finding many games on the Xbox for my 8 year old, most of the good games are rated T or M. He tends to like shooting games, however good luck finding one without a lot of language in it. I don't mind most of the violence, but do not understand why most of these games have to include all of the language also.

14. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Halo games would actually fall into that category the most graphic would be the alien blood on the floor

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Again, for Xbox, Monday Night Combat is great. T for teen and no blood.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I would sell for best offer. Counting your all reasoning ...

You'll buy for the money a lot of Wii games for grown kids.

17. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Use it for MLB.TV?

18. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Explain, please.

19. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
  20. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Pretty sure you would have won the newer "slim" model that has a better and cooler running power supply. It also should pass HD audio bit streams which the older models could not and had to convert to LPCM.

As a Blue Ray player its pretty awesome and its fully forward upgradable. A stand alone BluRay device has a window of being current (where the factory will issue updates) and then it is swept aside so you will purchase new after about 2 years to get back to faster load times. etc.

PS3 load times will make your head spin! They are fast. Image on BluRay material is great. It does (last time I checked) lack the "modes" like Std, bright, dim (aka movie, etc).

Where it does fall down is as a std DVD player. Its upscaling is good but the picture is a bit murky (dark) when compared to a stand alone BR player. I suspect that this is due to it being fully a software thing as opposed to a specialized hardware component. Again this may differ in the newer versions I have 2 of the early models.

It has incredible media center facilities and it truly does all things for the most part and it is continuously being enhanced and added to.

You can get a better BR player, and you can certainly get a better upscaling DVD player but overall these babies move forward constantly and offer so many additional features they kinda are hard to beat.

100 dollars shipping? A parcel that size and weight should ship to any zone in the US for like 25 bucks or less unless using priority overnight.

Don "not exactly a free prize it would seem" Bolton