1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wondering which DVR to upgrade to

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bobru, Jan 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bobru

bobru New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Northeast
    I currently have a R22-100 DVR and a Std Receiver in a second room. I am wondering which equipment to upgrade to. I want to be able to add an external hard drive for additional storage if I need to, which resulted from me changing from a standard DVR to the R22. However, I cannot watch HD on dermand programming with it. I have read that directv can, in fact, turn on the HD; but won't unless I have another DVR on the account. I currently have an installation appointment for tomorrow, and was told they will be bringing an HR24 or HR25. I am now considering whether I should just go to the genie. Basically, I want to have more storage, and be able to watch HD on demand programming....can anyone recommend the best course of action? I read there are often problems with attaching the recommended hard drives
    • WD My Book AV 1TB (model WDBABT0010HBK-NESN and WDBACS0010HBK-NESN)
    • Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK and model STAP1000100)
    • Seagate 500GB (model ST30500SCA109-RK)
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on which DVR and/or hard drives would be best...

Thanks!

2. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If you can get a Genie, HR44 take it! It has a 1 TB drive internal and 5 active tuners. You can add a larger HD if you need to. There are some issues with some drives, but they will get it worked out and you can make great use of the internal 1 TB as it sits. I got one about two weeks ago and love it. Any drive you add (external) is a replacement, it does not add to what you already have, so there is little point in getting anything smaller than a 3 TB external. The Thermaltake docking stations work nicely. Talk to Rich...he is very well informed about external drives.

I am a bit concerned, however, I don't know that you can change your mind on what you want at the last second. You may have already missed your chance to get a Genie. In any case, you want a DVR miniumum, HR24 series if you can. As I said earlier, if you can swing an HR34 or HR44, do so, you will end up using the tuners.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Wondering which DVR to upgrade to . . . .

HR44

4. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    HR25?? did i miss something?

5. bobru

bobru New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Northeast
    I dunno....I thought it was HR23, HR24; but the rep on the phone said HR25. I'm a long time customer, so I usually have pretty good luck at getting discounts and free channels out of them...I'm going to call. Even if I need to reschedule to another installation day, I'll go for the HR44.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Don't worry, if there was an HR25, we'd know about it and have pictures before it started rolling out :)

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as you amy or may not know, external drive replaces the internal rather than adding to it. Since the Genie already has 1TB, it would make no sense to use the external 1TB drive.

8. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    :gott: Hail to the Cutting Edge and the First Looks :gott:

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I'm kind of surprised that an HR25 wasn't announce in late September, right after I had two HR24's installed (along with an HR44).

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    isn't that a b*? I remember not too long ago when I bought my iPad3, a few months later Apple came with the iPad 4.....

11. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    All that is needed for there to be a HR25 is a bigger HD and more CPU power and make the box smaller than a HR24.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and DirecTV just did that, is called an HR44.... :rotfl:

Edit: They also threw extra turners, just in case

13. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    And just how many are allowed?

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    well depends who you ask...

15. bobru

bobru New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Northeast
    I ended up with the HR44....now I'm battling on another front, with the R22; but that's another thread...