1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Won't Install Without 2 TVs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by drded, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    I called today and was able to order a 2nd HD DVR for the $99 promotion price. One thing strange, the CSR asked me to confirm that I had 2 HD TVs as they would not install multiple units on 1 TV, even though the TV has multiple inputs.

Any of you guys with more than one DVR, have you heard of this and how did you deal with it?

Dave

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I have not heard of this. I currently technically have two sets and three DVRs. No one has ever questioned that about my setup.

3. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Just bought mine from BB or CC (can't remember).. so no discounts...

4. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    never heard of that I have 3 hr20/21 connected to one tv. I just activated the 3rd one on monday told them it was in the same room They didnt say anything.
    I would just confirm and connect it where you wont.

5. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    When I transitioned from my old HD Tivo to the HR20, the 20 was still pretty buggy so I kept my Tivo as a backup. I not only told the CSR that I wanted to do this but asked if I could get two extra lines run into my location so I could have both the Tivo and the HR20 running on the same tv. And he said yes he could have them do that without hesitation. So what you're hearing is either new or just another misinformed CSR.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What promotion?

7. drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    Right now there is a promotional price of $99 for an additional HD DVR plus $20 shipping handling, plus taxes. My total charge was $236 less a $100 credit.

There's been other threads talking about the price reduction. Costco has the unit for $169 but you either install yourself or pay for installation, up to $99 (according to CSR).

Dave

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I have four DVRs on one TV: two are HR20 and two are HR10.

The installer put in the first HR20 when I already had two HR10s on the TV, and at that time, also one HDVR2 on the TV. He had no issues about installing it either - doing everything he needed to with the splitters and multiswitches...

Before that, when I called to order that HR20, no one ever asked how many TVs I had.

9. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Does one really need more than one DVR per TV I mean seriously.

10. akhicks

akhicks Legend

Dec 10, 2007
    just tell them what they need to hear, the csr will NOT be the one coming out to your home for the install. just tell the installer when he/she arrives, any time someone tells me i only have to run to one location i do the happy dance (i what till i get outside) that ultimately means less work for the tech.

11. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    one for the wife, one for me, and one for the bedroom :D
    I've had 5 tuners recording at once :eek2:

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    If you're going to question "need" ... does anyone really even need a single DVR? :)

I love my four DVRs on one TV, each dedicated to recording certain channels to avoid conflicts. Since I record a lot, I need a way to avoid conflicts. I have found a solution that works for me. In answer to your question, "Yes".

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I knew there was a price drop to $199 and that Costco has them for $169, but don't know how you got it fo $99.

I called 2 days ago and the best they could do was the $199 newly reduced price.

14. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Need no but want yes one for me one for her and one for misc stuff
    Their is many times we have 6 recording plus two more upstairs at once.

15. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    LOL what cracks me up more is the people that are still using VHS to tape shows.

16. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Are you sure, I thought I read at Costco installation is included in the price, existing or new.

17. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Policy changed at the beginning of the year, unless costco is going to do the install...

Anywaysz, the CSR that asked if you had 2 HD TV's was full of sh*t. The tech doesnt give a damn if you have 8 TVs or 1. Hell it'd save him/her time to run all the cables to one location. They were probably trying to "help" you, making sure that you didnt get something you didnt need... or something like that.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The future holds no place for VHS. I'll stick with my BetaMax! :lol:

- Merg

19. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    You will be surprised how many people don't even have TV or maybe just one 19" for emergency at home.

Well our Costco apparently did not bother to update the sign. I saw it yesterday.

20. ToiletKitty

ToiletKitty Legend

Aug 15, 2007
    Well, there's 5 vhs at my house, on 3 tvs, and there have been times when they are all being used at the same time. My dad just refuses to get a dvr "why should I get one if the vhs works just fine?" :) Same reasoning with HD tv.

We don't have Directv though, because it's not available where we live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.