1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work around a recording conflict

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pablo, Sep 20, 2012.

1. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but with the upcoming premiere of Last Resort, a new series on ABC, I'm now faced with my first ever recording conflict I don't know how to resolve. With cable series it's easy, just cancel the episode and record another showing. But in this case I have three network shows: Last Resort (ABC, 8:00 - 9:00 PM), Up All Night (NBC, 8:30 - 9:00 PM), and The Big Bang Theory (CBS, 8:00 - 8:31 PM). That extra trailing minute at the end of BBT is what's screwing this whole thing up. Now I'm not sure what to do. There's no way to set recording options to end an episode 1 minute earlier (but you can begin 1 minute earlier, so why not end?), and by using manual recording, which I've never done, you can schedule a weekly recording at a certain time on a specific channel, but it won't know not to record if it's a repeat, right? What are my options?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Get an HR34 :)

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In seriousness you could set up a manual recording for 8:00 to 8:30, just go into menu, recording, manage recordings. Manual record.

4. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Yeah, that's what I did, but this will just record CBS every Thursday from 8 to 8:30, whether the episode is first run or not. So I guess I need to keep both so I can tell when to keep the manual version to record a new episode, or cancel the manual recording if no new episode is scheduled. Sort of messy and a pain, I guess, but I'm not getting a new DVR.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I 'd look at this from a 4 program situation. I'd create and put in order the following...

1. Big Bang Theory
    2. Last Resort
    3. Up All Night
    4. Manual, record from 8:30 - 9 NBC

Chances are Up All Night will be shown multiple times int he week, as that happens a lot with nbc shows.. Of course, ABC likes to do that too, with their newer series on saturday nights... Either way, I'd make all the regular series links as well, in case any of the shows changes days or the change the start and stop timing....

Either that or get an hr34.. :)

6. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    I'll try that, too, thanks. What's with that :31, anyway?

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've read on multiple Internet pages (so it must be right), that because of their higher ratings, some shows command higher commercial rates. So the networks take those shows and extend them by that minute to get additional revenues.

Multiple DVRs or the 34 will probably be the easiest solution since the shows you're interested in are not typically repeated throughout the week like on TNT or USA. Have you checked the network pages or VOD channels to see if they are streaming any of these shows at a later date?

8. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    From what I've read trh is right about the commercial thing. It's all about the money.

...although, it just could be about messing with DVRs; creating an artificial conflict and keep the tuner on their channel. :grin:

Mike

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Which gets back to the bottom-line answer:

10. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
  11. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Did you try looking at upcoming showings of those shows? Many network shows (like Shark Tank) will repeat at least once during the week.

12. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    I did, and none of them seem to do repeats throughout the week.

13. mocarob

mocarob Legend

Jul 26, 2007
    How does a HR34 solve the issue?

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I believe having 5 tuners solves it. There is no recording conflict in this scenario if you just had a 3rd tuner.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Can record 5 programs at once, and has twice (or more) the hard drive space of any other DirecTv DVR.