1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workplace account question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by peters4n6, Nov 23, 2010.

1. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    Let me preface this by saying that, of course, I will be calling directv to discuss my options. I am just interested in the suggestions, advance knowledge, etc.. of the forum prior to having time tonight to chatting with D*

I am a government employee working in a government facility. We have a break room and because of logistical factors cannot get an adequate OTA signal for the TV in there. The management (incl. me) would like to pony up some funds to buy a new flat screen and have a dish erected on the roof so our employees can watch some TV on their breaks and lunch. Our facilities folks say that approval for the dish would be no problem. The costs of the installation (if there is any) and the monthly programming will fall to us in management:

1. Since the location of the unit will not be in a personal residence, must this be some sort of corporate account (like the one's bars have?)?

2. Could any of us who already have a D* acct, just simply add a receiver to our home account and just pay for installation (I assume no) of the dish?

3. Are there any other considerations I should be thinking of or are there any questions I should remember to ask D*?

Thanks

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    1) This would be a business account.

2) Not allowed.

3) You need to ask who would own the account and thus be responsible for the costs.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You would need a commercial account. Your use would be considered "private" since your company's customers wouldn't be watching it, so the rates are pretty close to residential accounts, with a few additional restrictions.

4. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    I work on a Dept of Defense instalation and they have Directv. They have 5 or 6 H/HR boxes tuned to the cable news channels and The Weather Channel that are then streamed over the local intranet that we can see on our computers. The picture quality is VHS at best. They are using a SL3 dish.

5. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    interesting thought - have a friend that is the IT director for a Clinical Research Facilty, she is looking into Directv for the subjects while they stay over night for the drug testing. Since the subjects are paid for being there wold they still be able to qualify for "private", they would like to add the premium channels for the subjects

6. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    One other thought... government entities can order off the GSA schedule. That can be a significant price savings for many things.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's just because they are doing analog SD video capture from the receivers. That's probably because SD capture is cheap and easy, and because it reduces network traffic over the LAN.

8. peters4n6

peters4n6 Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    what's the GSA schedule?

FWIW, this would not however be a governmental purchase/contract. It would be a few individuals in a gov't office going out of pocket with personal funds.

9. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Go ahead and try to get the Government to foot the bill,i would be really be surprised if D* wasn't a Government contractor. The job would most likely go trough the GSA but the bid would open to cable and fieos unless it gets set aside.Contact D* and get info.

10. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    It's pretty funny that a lot of restaurants and businesses I've seen have great big flat panel TVs hooked up and connected via SVIDEO or more likey via coax so the picture quality looks like crap, cause the IT person, or janitor, or whomever connected it thought it would be easier to run coax from the receiver location to the TV in steady of HDMI.

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    No it's more likely they just reused the old system that was in place befor they got HD tv's. And you can't just run HDMI and put splitters on it. hdmi splitter do not work that well and even then you have 1 channel vs having lot's more over a coax system.

You need a Component or HDMI switching system with 1 run per tv back to where the Receivers are at.

The cost is higher to have real HD. You maybe able to replace the analog modulation system with one that puts out clear qam but some of the restaurants and businesses systems have lots splitters on the analog system and that may make the clear qam to weak to pick it up.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's purely a money issue. They have HDTVs, but SD service. I have to explain to people all the time that you can't just swap out a sat receiver and run HD over the existing coax to the TV.