1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World record for longest Customer Service call?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Dec 21, 2012.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This is a company record for Zappos, but a customer service call that runs 9 and a half hours has to be more of a record than that.

I have to think though that the caller might need help from more than Zappos.

http://www.businessinsider.com/zappos-longest-customer-service-call-2012-12

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Never had a call that long, but I am pretty sure that I have been put on hold that long.:)

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd called a customer service line (not DirecTV) and eventually noticed that I was no longer getting the message that the next available rep would take my call. Looked up their hours, they had closed, just leaving anyone on hold until the caller figured it out that they wouldn't be helped.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My personal record was six hours, but that is start to finish at a building where, each time I got stumped, I did do other things before coming back to it. The root of the problem was, DirecTV had downloaded new software into the Hughes E-86 receivers, giving it an Advanced Programming Guide, but that guide stayed in a "folder" of sorts until this customer "installed" it by doing a system reset. With the original software, the only reason to enter the zip code was to generate azimuth and elevation angles, but with the new software, even though the signal strength meter would individually recognize each local transmitter, it could only then enable transmitters within the zip code's DMA.

After five and a half hours, I said I was going to do this the George Costanza way. I was going to assume that every impulse and thought I had was wrong and do the opposite. That was when I finally entered the zip code and got the receiver to recognize the DMA locals.

I've been put on hold...forever. It was GlobeCast, where I held for maybe five hours, until I got: "Our business hours are 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Our offices are now closed. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing GlobeCast."

5. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I find that hard to believe. There isn't a call center manager who would allow that call to go on for 90 minutes no less 9_ hours. AHT (avg handle time) is the #1 statistic in any call center. As a former csr and then a cust svc trainer in a major call center for 3+ years I highly doubt that occurred. If it did, the team leader on duty should have been fired.

Edit: technical support calls are a different animal from general customer service but even that shouldn't be allowed to go on for 6+ hours if it was in a call center.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Zappos isn't exactly considered your average company, it's their culture. Everyone in the company gets three weeks of training, including taking customer service calls, and ones hired for that position get another 3 weeks on top of that.

They are also the ones famous for offering new hires an extra $2,000 to leave after the three weeks so that they feel the ones that stay are the ones that really want the job.

While I haven't had much need for their customer service, the free no hassle returns and the fact that I scored a VIP membership one day when they opened up the rolls for new members and get free overnight certainly makes a difference when I need to shop.

Just wish that membership carried over to Amazon :)

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I know I have! Can not recall the exact circumstances but it occurred sometime in the mid-80's (85 to 87). I was speaking with someone who ended up putting me on hold and forgot about me. I ended up putting the call on the speaker and went about my business and mutually forgot about them. It was not until the next morning that realized that I was still on hold..

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Not sure if your reply was aimed at my message but if so I've been buying from Zappo's for many years, well before Amazon bought them and got in on "free VIP" as well. That being said I don't care what their culture is but no call center manager would allow a rep to talk to a customer for 9+ hours ESPECIALLY if the discussion wasn't pertaining to business and even if it were business related a supe would have taken over the call long before it reached an hour. Every call is watched & monitored when the "red bar" lights up on the "on call time" by a "queue manager" and you can be sure they would have terminated that call in some way or another within a specified time. I've worked in a number of larger call centers in various positions (including sitting and standing :lol:) and they all operate the same.

9. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I can't believe that a customer service rep was on the phone with a customer for 9+ hours.

I can't believe that any customer would put up with being on the phone that long. If I ever called a company with an issue that took 9+ hours, I would expect to have the rep research the issue off-line and call me back with an answer.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Except that in this case that wouldn't have been the case. There was really no issue to resolve in that way.

Another article with some more info
    http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012/12/21/16069991-zappos-customer-service-call-lasts-10-hours?lite

The spokesman Jeffrey Lewis is named ad their Customer Loyalty Supervisor in a different article.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yabbut the call started with "What are you wearing", and went downhill from there. But both the rep and the customer were completely satisfied, (many, many times.)

:D