1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth getting Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnF, Mar 13, 2013.

1. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    I've been a long time customer and called them about the updated protection plan. The rep offered me a Genie at no cost and would only be charged the $49 installation. Two year commitment no problem.

Right now I have 2 HR20-100 units in the same location and only use them with one TV. I set up for an install of the Genie, deactivating one unit and keeping the other active. I like the picture in picture feature of the Genie, but don't care about the whole home DVR. Will probably cancel that.

Kind of indifferent about getting it since I won't make use of the whole home service, which seems to be the main thing. On the other hand, my units are old and probably wouldn't hurt getting something newer.

Any other reasons to upgrade?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    More storage space, adding an extra 50 series links and 3 more tuners.

Do you currently have one coax cable going to each DVR?

3. KoRn

KoRn Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Whole home is worth it just for the extra tuners. I have a Genie and HR24. Having 7 tuners is great! Other people even have more.

4. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

Two coax into each unit plus over the air (which I know Genie does not have).

5 LNB + a dish for international channels, all cables through an 8 x 6 adapter then 4 cables out, 2 per unit.

5. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    It seems like a nice feature, but I only use DirectTV with one TV so it seems that the only value would be to network the Genie with my older DVR and it doesn't seem to provide much value, but I could be mistaken, which in prompted this thread.

6. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Genie can do OTA with the AM21.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You'll also get rid of the B Band converters, though the HR20 you keep will need it's own splitter and a DECA. The Genie will plug right in.

8. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. Could also wait for the HR44 since I'm not in an immediate need of upgrading. I suppose after that comes out, it would be a while before I could get it at no cost, unless the upgrade feature of the new protection plan would allow me to request the HR44 specifically and not just any Genie in stock.

9. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    I checked the other thread and see the HR44 is not expected until April. I called and they could not tell if my area was in a test market and might have it, but they noted on the work order that if they don't have an HR44, to call me and I will cancel.

Thanks for the help.

10. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    We finally did the upgrade last month and love it. Just not having to deal with recording conflicts made it well worth it.

11. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    + 1

12. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Absoloutely agree-I got mine last month...having 5 tuners is awesome...I'm still waiting for Directv to work out some of the "bugs" I'm experiencing-no 3D, inadequate "jump back" and some others, but worth the wait!!

13. JohnF

JohnF Mentor

Mar 31, 2007
    Decided to wait for the HR44. The 4 tuners among 2 units is fine for me in the meantime. I spoke with someone in the home services dispatch department who was much more knowledgable than the customer service reps I have spoken with in the past.

She said the unit is now expected out in August, but hope she is wrong on that one. She did say under the new protection plan equipment upgrade program, I can request by a specific model number, the HR44 in this case, and not just by the more generic Genie name.

14. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Can you record 5 programs in HD at the same time or just 2 in HD and 3 in standard def with the Genie?

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    5 HD at one time

16. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I was about to order the HR34 last week but then read about the "no jump-back" issue. That's a deal breaker for me, so we will wait until that is resolved.

17. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I am a new Direct TV customer, so I do not have a reference to old receivers, however as I learn the features of the Genie I am getting more impressed by the minute. I had some issues with 3D and remote control but they solved them with the latest software update.

So far I am happy with it.

18. Bajanjack

Bajanjack Icon

Oct 22, 2006
    Glad to hear that for you. My 3D issues have been different then the ones you described-I can't get the guide or channels unless I put the unit into standby and then back on....still not fixed for me. Do you have any issues when ff and then hitting play-does it "jump back" for you so you don't miss any of the recorded program?

19. scottjf8

scottjf8 Godfather

Oct 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Talked to D today and they are giving me the genie for free (2 year agreement but whatever). Coming tomorrow!

20. dslram

dslram New Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I see the adds for the Genie and what are the benefits?

Just able to record more than 2 programs at once?