1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a SWM help me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by igator99, May 21, 2009.

1. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I have a DVR in the bedroom but only one line running to it. I was thinking it would be easy to put a SWM there and split the signal. It would be a real pain to run another line. Is that is what this is for? Would this work?

2. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It would, as long as it's not an R15 (Not SWM compatible).

3. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    • What kind of DVR is it
    • Is your one line coming to that receiver coming directly through from the dish, or is going through a splitter in your attic or what?

4. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    If I am understanding your question correctly (to put the SWM at the bedroom where there is only one line coming in) then, no, that will not work properly. The SWM needs four lines coming in from the dish (with an option for OTA) then outputs one line from there that can be split up to a combination of eight tuners (SWM-8).

So, in your situation, you need to place the SWM at a location where four lines are coming in from the dish, then split from there to your bedroom DVR (as long as your DVR is an R16 or later model)

5. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yes, you would need to run 4 lines from the LNB to the SWM Module, unless you get the LNB that has SWM built right in. Either way, from the SWM (LNB or Module) you'd have the one cable going to your DVR. Actually, you wouldn't have to split that either. The DVR takes care of that internally.

6. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Like others have said. It would work great as long as you have the right DVR. If it is a SD DVR the one's that will work is the R16 and R22. If you have an HD DVR then anything HR20 and above will work.

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Do you have a ka/ku dish to begin with?
    Also unless you plan to use the SWM8 switch all your IRDs need to be SWM compatible.

8. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Don't need a Ka/Ku dish. The module works just fine with the Phase III.

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Actually the SWM8 works with any DirecTV dish, even the 18 inch round dish....

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    SWM capable receivers don't need their signal to be split for dual tuner usage. It is split internally.

The OP also needs to tell us what dish he has. And DVR model.

11. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I have one of the newer black DVR's not sure what model. I have one line coming into the bedroom. I thought the SWM would allow me to split that one line into two?

12. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I think the point is that you'd not have to split the line into two if you had SWM. SWM allows you to run a DVR with both tuners working off of one line. The splitting is done internally in the DVR.

13. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Yes, an SWM would allow you to split that one line in your bedroom (to connect additional receivers, for example). Splitting to get a connection to a second tuner on one DVR is not necessary, as the the "splitting" is done internally on the DVR, as others have mentioned. This is, of course, after the SWM is installed in a location that can be fed four lines from the dish, then outputted to feed your one line in your bedroom.

14. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Sounds like the DVR will accept SWM, based on it being a black one...we still should know model just for 100% clarification. Is this the only receiver in the house? What dish do you have?

15. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I have a slimline 5 lnb. I have 5 receivers 1 HR20 Dvr, 2 RCA SD receivers and 1 black HDDVR and 1 black HD receiver. I was thinking to use a SWM simply in the bedroom so I could record one show while watching another. That is it.

16. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Looks like you have at least 5 tuners at present in service. That would indicate that there is a multiswitch somewhere in your system that presently feeds your house system. That multiswitch probably has the four leads from the dish currently attached. Find the current multiswitch in your house. Assuming there is a multiswitch there already, replace the multiswitch with a SWM8 and its power supply. If any of the current receivers is not SWM capable, hook them to the legacy outputs of the SWM8. If you already had two feeds to the HR20, you will only need one feed connected to the SWM8. You can split the signal on a SWM line with appropriate splitters. The SWM8 will supply feed to 8 tuners...that is two tuners per DVR and one tuner per simple receiver. A single feed to each receiver is all that is needed with a SWM. The DVR tuners internally split a SWM signal to feed each internal tuner. From your mix, you need to be able to feed 7 tuners to have all tuners active...easily handled by a SWM8.

17. bahlk

bahlk Cool Member

Jul 27, 2008
    I have a close situation to the OP. I have a R16 and a R22 and a regular SD receiver being fed off a regular dish (i believe it is the 18"). Is it possible to use the swm to take advantage of the dual tuner with a single line? Would i have to use a multi switch between the dish and the swm module to give it 4 lines or would i just take the two lines from the dish and plug in. Or is it even possible to use the SWM module with the setup I have.

18. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    What are the models of the 2 SD receivers? Unless they're both D12s, it's not going to work.

19. bahlk

bahlk Cool Member

Jul 27, 2008
    I have: R22 in Living room; R16 in Master bedroom and D12 in my daughter's room

20. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    He can hook them to legacy ports no matter what the model is....