1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Would Direct want an H21 HD receiver back

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Kev4Bama, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I purchased an h24 and was going to replace my h-21 with it. H24 is much smaller and quicker and will be great for tailgating. Would y'all think Direct will want me to return the H21 to them as old as it is? I have a friend I was wanting to give it to so that he could add it to his account.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    First, regardless of wether DirecTV® wants it or not, you wont be able to give it to your friend UNLESS you own it (which apparently you don't otherwise you would not be asking the question). LEASED receivers can't be transferred to another account

Now, to find out if you can keep the receiver, you need to call DirecTV®.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And when you say you purchased an H24, did you actually purchase it or lease it?

4. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I guess what I am saying is alot of times I have seen when people are leasing a receiver say 5 or 6 years and they replace it with a new one such as I will be doing here a lot of times Direct will tell them they don't want it back and to just keep it. I have gotten a receiver from folks before that Direct told them they didn't want back and I was able to activate them just fine.

5. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I purchased the h24 from an individual. I called Direct and gave them the RID and they said it was not active on any account and clear to be activated.

6. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I recently replaced an HR21 and the rep said they would send a kit to return it, but instead they sent an envelope to return the card.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Has it been established whether or not DIRECTV will activate "forsaken" receivers on a different account?

If so, what is the going rate for replacing the card?

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They aren't supposed to for residential accounts, though it sounds like the TS may have done it. Perhaps it is possible a few fall through the cracks here and there.

The intent is that if they don't want the receiver back it is because they're trying to retire such older hardware, and allowing people to sell/give such receivers to others and activate them would defeat the purpose. I really think they should ask for all receivers back, but have the return box send receivers they don't want anymore to the recycling center. That would keep them out of the trash and keep people from selling them on Ebay to the unaware.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    That would make too much sense.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    $20.00

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps it was OWNED. If it was leased, it must have been never activated.

12. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I have activated several recievers before that were previously used or I purchased from other people and I have never had an issue with it. These that I just bought I called and gave them the RID number and they said they were clear to activate. As long as they aren't tied to an account where they were supposed to be returned and never were or stolen than they will activate them. As long as you are willing to give them 6 bucks a month of course haha

13. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I am not activating old equipment. For less than 100 bucks I purchased an h24 and an HR24. Chexked both RID numbers and they were clear to be activated.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You may have been been lucky and acquired owned equipment at a good price for Directv to tell you you can activate it on you account. To my knowledge it is only commercial accounts (and maybe only certain types of commercial accounts at that) who can activate leased equipment, whether current receivers such as a H25 or Genie, or obsolete equipment that Directv tells the account holder they don't want back.

If you have a H21 and they don't want it back, you'd be able to re-activate on your account, but no one else with a residential account will be able to do so. They want to take outdated equipment out of circulation, and even for newer equipment would want to pass it through the refurbishment process to insure it is checked out as working properly.

15. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes, but your question was about the HR21. They won't ask for it back, but your friend may or may not be able to activate it.

Edit: Slice1900 beat me to it.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Here is an easy test. Activate the H24 and deactivate the H21. Now call your friend give them the RID number of the H21 and have him/her call DirecTV® and question about activating the H21. Keep us posted

17. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I will keep everyone up to date on if they want the H21 back or not. I do see what everyone is talking about in that they probably won't let a receiver I have leased be activated on a friends account. I'll probably just keep it in case I need it in the future if they don't want it back. I guess I have gotten lucky in that the receivers I have purchased from others have either been owned or never activated.