1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would the Genie be good for me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by krfuquamd, Feb 13, 2013.

1. krfuquamd

krfuquamd New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Greenwood SC
    I'm curious the thoughts of the experts on this board. I have been seeing the Genie advertised and am wondering if I should consider it.

I am a Direct TV customer since 1997. I presently have in my home 3 HD-DVR's and 4 regular HD receivers. I have the whole home setup where I can watch something recorded on any of the DVR's on any other TV in the house.

I do occasionally find that we would like to record more than two things at once on one particular HD-DVR. This necessitates going to one of the other HD-DVR's to make this happen which is no problem but if a single box could record 5 things at once that sounds appealing.

Would a Genie in one room with clients in the other rooms be an option? Do you pay the same monthy cost irregardless? Right now I have the Choice Extra with HD and DVR, premium channels and I pay a monthly fee for each receiver.

Thanks

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Without changing the number of boxes, you would have the same monthly fee. You couldn't go all client, the Genie is limited to three clients.

You could replace one DVR with a genie, the other two with clients and keep the other 4 receivers.

Do you currently have a SWM system (one coax cable coming into each DVR)? If you press Dash on the remote, it will tell you whether SWM is connected or not.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    He could go with one genie and six RVU clients, he would just need to realize that he would only be able to watch TV in a maximum of 4 different rooms at one time (the room with the Genie, and in 3 rooms with clients). The Genie can have more than 3 clients on it's network, but it can only stream out recordings/live tv to 3 of them at any given time.

So if there are only 2 or 3 people in his house normally, he may be just fine with a genie and 6 clients. The sad thing is that DirecTV does not give a discount for setups like this, which many of us feel that they should. Since you can only use 3 clients at any given time it seems wrong to continue to charge $6/month for any clients past 3.

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I wouldn't get rid of any of the existing DVR's. I would replace one of the regular receivers with the Genie (I'd put the Genie in the primary viewing location and move the DVR's that's already there to the location of one of the other receivers). If I really wanted clients, I'd replace the other receivers.

IMO - you can never have too many DVR's.

5. krfuquamd

krfuquamd New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Greenwood SC
    Yes I have SWM connected.

I have a HR22-100 and 2 HR21-100's. I also have a H24-100 and 3 H21-100's. If I was going to ask Direct TV about returning 4 of these units for a Genie and 3 clients which 4 should I give them?

I just went out of my 2 yr contract. I assume I can make this switch for little or no money out of pocket? And based on the posts my monthly bill will remain about the same?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You could easily swap any one unit you have now with a genie dvr and be fine. There would be zero change in monthly price in that senario.

A few questions to maybe narrow down what would be easiest for you..

1. How many series links total do you have right now among all your dvrs?

2. How much space do you always have available among them all?

3. How many tvs do you ever have on at any one time, either watching something live or recorded?

4. How many do you ever have on watching live tv at the same time?

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I would not give up either the DVRs or receivers for clients. I would probably drop one of the H21's and add the Genie in it's place. That will keep your monthly recurring cost the same. The only advantage of having a C31 would be to schedule recordings on the HR34. But you can also do that from the H24 or H21 (but not from the HR2x units).

As to cost, only DirecTV can answer that for you. It depends on a variety of factors related to you and your account history. Reports here have ranged from no cost to full cost for anything obtained. So for you that would be $0 best case, $299 for the HR34, $99 for each client, and some installation cost worst case.

8. krfuquamd

krfuquamd New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Greenwood SC
    I may not understand the series link question.

At most three TV's going at once.

None of the 3 DVR's are ever more than 50% filled.

So I don't need clients? And it sounds like replacing a receiver with a client doesn't gain me much right?

I am happy with my present setup, however, I see the one advantage of the Genie as the ability to record more than 2 shows at once from my family room which would occasionally be nice.

With the Genie i still get the whole home ability correct?

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR2x series are capable of a maximum of 50 series links. The HR34 is capable of 100. If you have many series links set, the HR34 is a good upgrade for that reason alone.

You can watch recordings from any DVR or Genie on any other DVR or Genie or HD receiver (assuming you have whole-home active). The client allows you to pause, rewind, and fast forward live tv whereas an H2x receiver does not. Either/both can watch a recording and use pause/rewind/ff. So that is one advantage of a client over a receiver. But the client is using one of the 5 Genie tuners when it is watching live tv, where an H2x is not (it is using it's own tuner).

The ability to record more than 2 shows at once is very nice. And yes, the Genie supports whole-home as I mentioned above. Keep in mind clients use up Genie tuners whereas separate Hx2x units do not. So if you have a Genie and 3 clients, and all 3 clients are watching live tv, the Genie only has 2 tuners available for watching and/or recording. So it's a trade off. If I already had DVRs or receivers, I personally would stay with those as opposed to C31 clients. A new customer getting a Genie and 3 clients will do just fine with that configuration.