1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

would you trade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rsblaski, Jan 19, 2013.

1. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    If D* would marry external drives to an account but by doing so would delete the current recordings on your drives(s), would you be willing to do that?
    I'm assuming that might be the price we would have to pay if account rather than device accessibility ever came about.
    As for me, I would hope we would get an option to convert one drive at a time.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep, I'd do it.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, but I don't understand the appeal to DIRECTV in putting in that caveat. They'll do it or they won't, but I can't see how this scenario would tip the scales in favor of doing it. Can you please elaborate?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps, that known example of implemented method by dish based on encryption during transfer to EHD; that's means you can use any key from any source
    while DTV has _system_ disk where is event's encryption using unique key [RID ?] belong to the DVR only
    imagine switching to account's key ... all your events must be decoded and re-encoded ... how long it will take ? it would be easy do start from scratch and drop all customer's recordings during that implementation

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thank you. That makes sense in that it's easier to implement.

6. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    DirecTV could support both ways…. That would allow new recordings to by encrypted with the users account number while still being able to decrypt old recordings using the receiver’s id.

That’s not to say they WILL do this… I seriously doubt they are all that interested in changing how they encrypt the recordings. Sure we would benefit but unless they start losing subs because of it they won’t spend a dime to change it…

I’d also be worried – as in be careful what you wish for! The switch to the HDGUI really did nothing for the day-to-day use of the DVRs but it sure screwed them up for quite some time. My HR24s are still not as fast as they were before the HDGUI. I’d think that DirecTV management should/would be more afraid of the problems that would be introduced more than they should/would be afraid of losing a sub or two because of the stupid decision made 7 or 8 years ago…

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Exactly how Dish does it and is required by DRM - no duplicate copies of a recording allowed for HD programming.

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OMG!! So any of us that may have recorded the same show on two DVRs are in danger of being jailed by the MPAA?? ;):nono: :D

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If it were possible, I'd attempt to replace my DVR's one at a time. I'd shift as many Series Links off of 1 DVR as possible, make an effort to watch everything that's in that DVR and then swap it. Then, once I swap out that DVR, I'd do the same with DVR's 2 & 3.

10. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Yes, those were my thoughts, that there would have to be a firmware update that would not be compatible with the old machine based key for reading the external drive files. As i said in my original post, I would hope we could change each dvr separately, so we could watch existing recordings before switching.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just to avoid confusion in terminology: external drive in DTV world is system drive, totally substitute internal, so only one drive is exist for DTV DVRs, so the words "internal or external" for a matter of the topic is irrelevant