1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you vote for Arnold?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Strong, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 4, 2003 #1 of 53
    Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm curious what the mindset is of someone that would vote for Arnold S. (I'm too lazy to look up the exact spelling of his last name). I'm not in California, but I can understand the folks being upset with their politicians. Here in FL our Repub. politicians are so entrenched that there its almost a 1 party state. It makes it very frustrating for those of us that generally oppose their policies.

But what would make someone vote for a pumped up actor with no experience?? Especially one that seems to be a Republican in name only?? There has to be more of a reason to vote for him besides star power?? Even Jesse Ventura (and Ronald Reagan before him) seemed to be a serious individual with ideas vs an empty suit with a smile??? Are the other Republican politicians backing him only because he is leading in the polls?? Are people that fed up with politicians that they would vote for anyone as long as they aren't a career politician??

His latest travails are certainly interesting. It seems to be the height of hypocrasy for Republicans to be brushing off the allegations of "groping" after what they said about WJC a few short years ago. And it would be bizarre indeed if he turned out to be another Kirt Waldheim!

2. Oct 4, 2003 #2 of 53
    Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    As for his positions, you could help us and post why you think he's a RINO (Repub. in name only).

As for the groping issue, even Susan Estrich, the very liberal lawyer and professor and sexual assault expert ripped apart the LA Times for the story. I've heard two interviews with her saying how she believes this is nothing but smear politics and seriously questions the reliability of the accusers and the way the LA Times handled the story.

As to the Nazi thing, it's proving to be sleaze again. A third quote from that interview came out quoting Arnold as saying he was against everything Hitler did with his power.

And according to the polls, these democratic slease tactics aren't working, Arnold is still as high as he has been.

But hey, Tom McClintock is still the best guy for the job... although not the best guy with a chance.

3. Oct 4, 2003 #3 of 53
    Strong

Jul 30, 2003
    That was a joke, right? Arnold calls himself pro-abortion, pro-homosexual adoption, and "very liberal" about social programs. He mouths platitudes about cutting taxes and making gov't responsible and the Republicans are jumping on his bandwagon?? Read the American spectator for their views on him calling himself republican

http://www.spectator.org/article.asp?art_id=2003_9_2_22_26_58

Even he admits that he's "behaved badly at times" and was "deeply sorry". To me, that pretty much sounds like an admission of guilt.

I have no clue what his views really are. Since his dad was a member of the Nazi party I suppose he had a pro-nazi upbringing. That by itself isn't damming of course.

4. Oct 4, 2003 #4 of 53
    Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    No joke. I'd like to know why you think this way.
    It's easy, go to his site and give us at least some examples.

Sure he may be more liberal on social issues... so what? California is a liberal state.

I was a cheerleader in college (stunt). On occasion, being in college and having the college sense of humor and lack of class, I would smack a female squad member on the butt or make a sexual joke. And in the spirit of things, they laughed it off and made a crass joke in return.
    If, 25-30 years from now I run for governor, one could come up and say, "he touched me inappropriately." When at the time, it was no big deal.
    The people making the claims, the lack of witnesses and the timing all question the credibility of those making the accusations.

Hey, if we can have democrats who used to be in the Klan, I think it's okay to have a Republican who's father may or may not have been voluntarily in the Nazi party.

5. Oct 4, 2003 #5 of 53
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I didn't vote for Arnold because he seemed a bit wishy-washy, especially after the Mark Williams KFBK interview. This doesn't mean that I think that he's a bad person for the job. On the contrary, I think he would have an improvement over Davis or Bustimante. I liked how he laid out his first hundred days. I like how he is going to have the budget audited from the top-to-bottom and use zero-baseline budgeting.

Do I believe that he engaged in some "bad behavior" on the movie sets? Perhaps, but he isn't the only one. How many stories have we heard over the years of people being doped up or such during production? Does that make it right? Absolutely not. But we have to put it in the proper context.

Still, I voted my conscience, and for McClintock because he was a better man for the job in my opinion, and has knowledge of working in Sacramento. My original plan was to see how the polls were going and cast my absentee ballot last Thursday, but when the ninth circuit court put a hold on the election, I mailed my ballot in as a sign of protest.

And, if you want my prediction:
    * Davis will be recalled
    * Arnold is elected
    * The actual voting results will be closer than the polls are saying
    * We're going to have to wait until the results are certified, which is usually 39 days after the election. There will be a court challange to this.

And, after the election, I hope that the invite is extended to McClintok and Ubberoth to be part of Arnold's advisors.

6. Oct 4, 2003 #6 of 53
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    That was a joke, right? Bob Graham a Republican?

7. Oct 4, 2003 #7 of 53
    Strong

Jul 30, 2003
    Here is a quote from the Miami Herald 9-16-03

"The Democratic party lost control of the Legislature in 1996 and are now outnumbered 81-39 in the House and 26-14 in the Senate. In addition, Republican Gov. Jeb Bush easily won reelection last year. While Democrats hold both of Florida's U.S. Senate seats, Republicans hold an 18-7 advantage in Florida's congressional delegation."

I guess even the Repubs haven't quite figured out how to gerrymand a state wide election. Last I heard, the registered Dems in FL outnumber the Repubs 43%-39%.

8. Oct 4, 2003 #8 of 53
    Strong

Jul 30, 2003

OK, I went to the site and read it.

Do people actually believe drivel like that from "Arnold"? Do you honestly think that he wrote that? Or believes it? Or understands it? Or even read it??? If that doesn't read like a generic policy paper from a well paid staff, then nothing does.

IMHO, this sudden commitment to the people of California doesn't pass the smell test.

Who knows..maybe it will be President Arnie in a few years after the Repubs change the constitution to allow ex Austrian body builder actors to become president...

9. Oct 4, 2003 #9 of 53
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    It appears that you contradict own accusation.

10. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    sure, you bet. Why? - consider the alternatives. The competition are the dregs of the bunch.

Oh, and Arnold's supposed Nazi views - there's some slander. From the witnesses, he worked to disrupt neo-Nazi events - did not like them one bit. Will the liberal press play that one as loudly as the dem's slander, probably not. Do I really like Arnold as gov, not my first choice. But he's miles ahead of all the other contenders.

11. Strong

Jul 30, 2003

The demos here are so demoralized and marginalized, they are having trouble fielding viable candidates. Even I couldn't bring myself to vote for McBride..and even he was better than Reno.

As for pjmrt saying that Arnie is the best of the bunch. I'm wondering under what set of criteria? The best smile and one-liners?

This seems to be a perfect case for the "none of the above" option in elections.

12. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    :lol:

13. Strong

Jul 30, 2003
    Well it seems like the Demos are starting to learn that "if you can't beat em, join em". Since almost no one can get elected these days under a "liberal" banner, and being a Demo is politically incorrect in a lot of places, the libs are starting to call themselves Republicans to get elected! (See Blumenthal (R) Mayor NYC, Arnie S. (R) - Presumptive Gov CA., et al).

Pretty smart strategy I would say. And that well know liberal rag, the American Spectator says it even better...

http://www.spectator.org/article.asp?art_id=2003_10_1_0_2_40

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I would vote for him. What he has done in the past does not mean that he would not make a good governor. Its like what Bill Clinton done during his presidency would not make him do his job any worse to make him a bad president. It just gives the person a bad image and some think that the person under such position should have a good image to represent his people better.

15. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I hope Arnold wins and I would vote for him. California is up to it's ears in politics. They need a business man in that chair from the outside rather than a fork tongue politician.

Sure, Arnold may be inexperienced but at least he has a commanding demeanor that might turn some heads. The only problem I see is that neither Arnold or McClintock will win because the republican vote will be split.

16. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    My self if i lived in California, I would vote for him too. His opposers are very quick to cast the first stone at him... and dig up every little thing imagined or otherwise and heresy about him. To me that seems that they are afraid... very afraid.

17. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I hope he wins if for no other reason to show that attack politics will no longer work. (Yea, right) I disagree with many of his views, but I am tired of the last minute revelations and muck coming from the opponents.

18. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    But what would make someone vote for a pumped up actor with no experience??

Personally I think we need a LOT more people in politics with no "experience". Too many career politicians as it is. Government shouldn't be run by only lawyers.

I'd vote for him. He's a good mix of social liberalism and fiscal conservatism. If there were recent accusations of him being a womanizer, rather than from years and years ago I might be concerned.

19. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002

Steeeeeeee-rike two!

So far you've accused Arnold of drivel and other stuff. I've asked to tell us what specifically he says that you thing makes him so bad.

And twice you've come up with nothing.

It sounds like you're just substituting what you'd say about Bush.

What smell test? What are you talking about? Did you hear his initial speech? It was the one about coming here with nothing and California gave him the opportunity to make it big. And he wants to give that opportunity to others. Sure, there were no specifics in that speech, but just that by itself is a good representation of why he likes the state.

So give us examples...

20. Strong

Jul 30, 2003
    LOL..we'll just never agree. He's never said anything of substance that doesn't sound like scripted platitudes. To me, that is what "makes him so bad". Thats why he refuses to have a serious debate. He doesn't have a substantive idea in his head! To you that makes him good!

You come up with a generic official web site that could have been lifted from any "fiscally conservative" politician and expect me to take that seriously.

Guilty your honor.

He seems like any of the other silly candidates out there that are taking advantage of a bizarre situation to run. IMO he is a calculating opportunist that didn't seriously participate in the affairs of the state until Repub bigwigs saw him as a golden boy that could actually get elected. Even more bizarre is the fact that he is a liberal ala Mike Blumenthal in Repub clothing.

I'm sure there are lots of people that came to the country/state with nothing that like the state. Some of them even built businesses, became heads of social organizations, leading academics, etc. Some of them could even give a speech with specifics. IMO the Repubs are blinded by his star power and have forgotten their principles by backing him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.