1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you vote for this guy?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by missileman, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 2, 2006 #1 of 11
    missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/434527.html

Evan Bayh- Among other things:

"Q: Why do you think we should abolish the Electoral College?

A: "I think our president should be chosen by the majority of the American people. That is ordinarily the case. But in 2000, as we all recall, we elected this president with fewer votes than the other candidate got. I just don't think in the modern era that is appropriate."

WRONG!!!!! Keeping the Electoral College is more important than ever, IMO. Without it, each state loses its stake in presidential elections.

2. May 2, 2006 #2 of 11
    olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Only if your guy wins.:D

3. May 2, 2006 #3 of 11
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't happen to agree with him but is not as if the idea is totally irrational. I can't see why one's view on this would disqualify someone.

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 11
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I agree, other than Bayh's moaning over his own party's losses that is. :D While I can see the argument for eliminating the electoral college (didn't we beat that horse to death already?), without it we would have missed presidents like Lincoln. And I think we were better off with Bush after 9-11 than we would have been with Gore. The EC seems to be a general check against the power of highly populated states - or perhaps big city versus the rest of us. Still having a different view on the need for the electoral college shouldn't disqualify him. Those that disagree with his view on the electoral college - well, yes then that would be grounds not to vote for him if they so wish.

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 11
    durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    He can run on anything he wants, but I seriously doubt he'd be able to pull off changing the constitution on something like that.

It sounds like he's trying to find a hot-button issue that will cause ignorant voters to jump on his bandwagon.

6. May 2, 2006 #6 of 11
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Lincoln won the popular vote in both 1860 and 1864. Admittedly he only had 39% of the popular vote but that was still more than any of his opponents. Onlya handful of elections would have come out differentlky without the electotal college. It usually magnifies the winner's margin of victory.

7. May 2, 2006 #7 of 11
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    Perhaps, but I don't see this helping him any. I suspect most people don't see the constitution as "broke" with respect to the electoral college. So I just don't see that becoming an issue Bayh can leverage. From the article, in fact, I really could not see anything other than traditional democratic rhetoric - play off people's fear of energy costs, Iraq, ... without any real solutions of his own. The dems will continue to use that tactic - but eventually they'll have to own up to just what they would do themselves. Then, just like in 2004, the people will see the difference and choose the republicans.

8. May 2, 2006 #8 of 11
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually I don't know that this issue is all that big a part of Bayh's strategy. In this case he answered the question but he also answered one about jogging.

9. May 2, 2006 #9 of 11
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    WRONG!!!!! Keeping the Electoral College is more important than ever, IMO. Without it, each state loses its stake in presidential elections.

We've been over this before... but the basis for your objection isn't all that important to me. I don't really care if states have "equal say" in presidential elections.

In my opinion its an outmoded concept. When the constitution was drafted, the idea that citizens were smart enough to make these decisions was ridiculed.

Today I'd rather the individual citizens have equal say, rather than the states.

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    right now the states that get the attention from candidates are the close states. Mew Mexico and Utah are approximately the same size. NM is hotly contested and Utah is not---guess which one will get visits in 2008.

I still favor the current system but let's be realistic. Modern technology and voting patterns have changed things tremendously.

BTW I have no idea how most voters view the electoral college---though I suspect that they do nott hink it that important an issue.

11. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    No more whistle stops, concentrate on certain states the rest will work out ok. That is the precise reason the electoral college needs to be eliminated (along with a wasted 50 gazillion dollars for every office in the land)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.