1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, Directv2PC really came in handy...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by taz291819, Jan 13, 2009.

1. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    This past Sunday, my GF and I moved to Huntsville, AL. By the time we got everything unpacked, it was already around 7pm, obviously it was too dark outside to put up the dish.

So I hooked up the HR20-700, thinking we'd be able to watch a few shows recorded on the DVR. Unfortunately, without a satellite signal, it wouldn't let us get into the menu. So we basically decided to watch some BD backups on the HTPC instead.

For the hell of it, I figured I'd fire up Directv2PC and so if it would still read the HDD on the HR20-700. To my amazement, it did. The past two nights, we've been able to watch shows off the DVR that we recorded last week.

Just thought I'd share.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Excellent! Because this product is in a public beta, I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum for all to share.

3. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Now for the $1,000,000.00 question, will it work on a deactivated HR? ;)

4. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Not sure about that. I believe the answer is the card has to be autorized for it to work.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I'm glad DIRECTV2PC worked, but you may be able to get the HR20 working. I moved an HR20 to another room once and had this happen. i was able to get past the satellite setup screen by pressing the power button on the front to put it into standby, then again to turn it back on. It then gave me a 771 error and I could use the menu functions.

6. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    Wish I would have tried that, but I went home on my lunch break yesterday and installed the dish. That was the fastest I've ever put up an AU9, 45 minutes total including the mast.

7. water1

water1 Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    I'm glad you did because reading your post helped me solve a similar problem. I currently have a glop of snow on the lower part of my dish that is disrupting reception from only some satellites but the big issue is no guide data so two of my DVR have locked me out. At least they were until I read your post and fired up the computer and the latest version of Directv2pc and I'm happily watching recordings.
    Sure hope it warms up soon. :nono2:

8. Chad Dyess

Chad Dyess New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    We use a similar approach. My upstairs DVR has an antenna on it, but the one in our living room doesn't, so I have some of our "can't miss" shows recorded on both DVR's, but the upstairs DVR records off of the antenna. That way, if the recording in the living room is bad due to bad weather, we can switch over to the HTPC and fire up DirecTV2PC to pick up the recording from upstairs. It works like a charm.