1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow record lite on -700 so bright!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gregftlaud, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 9, 2007 #1 of 18
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    As i've stated before in other threads i just got a -700 receiver today. Man the record light is so BRIGHT. It's like an orangish/yellow and it about 5 times as bright as the much dimmer reddish/yellow record light on the -100. It's like a freaking laser beam in your eyes when you are trying to watch tv ......you cant help to see it when something is recording. Please a software upgrade to dim this light. I never even notice on the -100 when something is recording. It's amazing how similar, of course, these receivers are. But it's the little things that are different about these two receivers that are not subtle. Overall i'm happy because I no longer have to deal with that mpeg4/ota glitch. But just a few observations that I'm sure have been mentioned many times before.

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 18
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hmm .. I've got 3 HR20-700 and never thought that the record light was too bright. I'm sure you can find something to cover the light if it's too bright .. perhaps a small circle of white paper and some double-stick tape would work.

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 18
    PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Is your HR20 located close to eye level? My HR20-700 is located about 1 foot off of the floor, so I don't get a straight shot to my eyes. Doesn't seem all that bright to me at all.

4. Oct 9, 2007 #4 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006

Stop the presses... Doug and I disagree on something! It's a rare day, as you all know I have the utmost respect for Doug and his opinions.

But here, well I find the record light on my HR20-700s to be VERY VERY bright. In fact, when combined with the blue power lights and light ring, it is bright enough to read by.

My point is further made when contrasted with the new H21 (receiver, "non-DVR"). The lights there are much, much dimmer.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #5 of 18
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Stuart,

Well, a couple of things probably come in to play for me that limit the effect of the amber light. (1) I typically watch TV with a lot of light, so the difference in the ambient lighting and the record light is not that bad .. If it were dark in the room the record light would likely seem worse to me and (2) the record light closest to the bottom of the TV set is a good two feet away so it's no where near the line of site.

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 18
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    I guess it's just because i've been used to the dimmer reddish record light on the hr20-100. Had that for 6months before I switched out my HR10 for an HR 20 and just happen to get a -700. I'm sure i'll get used to. It's just so different from the -100. It took me a while to get used to the blue light ring on the -100 but I did. I dont like the blue circles too on the blue light ring. Like the continous blue ring on the -100 better. But just another thing that's new to me that I'll get used to.

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 18
    kmkraft_1974

kmkraft_1974 Legend

Feb 13, 2006
    I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've covered all the meaningless lights on all my devices with small pieces of electrical tape...its calmed down the light show of a home theater system....happy with the results, as my eyes don't get distracted by all the commotion.

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    :) .. doesn't sound ridiculous at all - especially if you normally view your programs in a darkened room. Each situation is different and I truly never noticed the amber light as even remotely being an issue.

9. wjbjr

wjbjr Cool Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Small pieces of masking tape will decrease the brightness of the lights, while allowing some light to come through. A double layer of tape will decrease them even more, depending on one's personal taste.

10. UTVLamented

UTVLamented Legend

Oct 18, 2006
    It's like having a mini-Sun in the room. It's screaming "hey there, look at me, I'm recording something!".

11. ldspears

ldspears Cool Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I agree that the orange recording light on the DVR HR20-700 is way to bright. I have a HR20-100 sitting next to my HR20-700 and the HR20-100 recording light is not bad at all. To fix my problem with the HR20-700 I got a black magic marker and wrote over the orange recording light. Now when it's recording you can still see a little orange but it don't hurt your eyes like before. I thought about getting a small piece of black tape and put over the orange recording light but the black magic marker worked great.

12. 2000voltz

2000voltz Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    I agree, the 100 light ring looks more defused and it has a finshed look to it, where the 700 looks unfinished.

13. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    hey i did the black magic marker thing to and it dimmed it a bit. makes it alot less annoying. just making sure it is safe to do that though?

14. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Because I often watch TV with my brother, who is deaf, we usually have the room lighting up pretty bright so we can comment on the show to one another, so the light has never bothered me. I admit in a darkened room it's like a night light/emergency light. In my bedroom I use it as such. ;)

15. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Having just added an HR20-700 to my "fleet", I will agree about the record light. It is definitely bright. In general, all the lights seem brighter, on the 700, vs my 100. As an fyi, I turn the blue ring light off on both my 100 and 700.

16. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    Doesn't the yellow light dim down when you dim the blue lights? Will have to check when I get home. I know you can dim the lights by pressing right and left buttons at the same time on the receiver.:D

17. calidelphia

calidelphia Godfather

Feb 17, 2007
    I'd like the option to turn all LEDs off on this box. Normally they don't bother me except when watching a movie in a pitch black room.

18. MichaelP

MichaelP Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    The amber record light doesn't bother me at all. My HR20 is well below eye level. What does bother me is that crazy blue spinning, flashing ring of eye-fire on the front. That one is bright. So I turn it off. Problem solved -- for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.