1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wow...the new "My apps" really suck. What happened to them?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Machael, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Machael

Machael AllStar

Apr 20, 2008
    I used to love being able to hit the right arrow button, and see when the next games were for my favorite teams. The new version has NO customization available, and there are no other apps to use, except the default ones. Is this working as intended? I hope I'm just missing something....

I did a forum search, but I got no hits......

TIA!

1 person likes this.
  2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    It's working as intended, for now....

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Newer isn't always better. Having the new apps in HD is a nice touch but the default selections are pretty lame. Hopefully in the future we'll have more apps to choose from.

4. Machael

Machael AllStar

Apr 20, 2008
    Thanks for the info! I'd gladly take back the lo-def app selection over these LOL

1 person likes this.
  5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep;

Prettier UI, but slower to load and no more app store for customizing the list.

Now its a "take whatever apps we choose to give you" approach.

So overall a :down: over the former SD implementation of the feature in my view.

6. e4123

e4123 AllStar

Jan 31, 2011
    Agreed. Miss having the information I want available.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I have no hope. I have seen too many of DirecTV additional features that are never improved upon.

8. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    I miss getting my team stats. It was always quicker than looking it up on the Internet. Please bring team customization back.

9. jpx5

jpx5 Legend

Jul 24, 2007
    Central New...
    Major step backwards

10. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Agreed.

I used the team apps (example - Buffalo BIlls) pretty heavily, and they're now kaput :(

11. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006

12. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Puting it mildly,

This move(upgrade?) is beyond abject stupidity.

Insulting to the customers.

13. Jayse47

Jayse47 New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    I agree. I used to use it for my sports teams mostly. I wish they would of still let you pick what you wanted on it even is it just a couple apps for now. I would like to take the apps I won't use off of the list.

14. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    I used to check 'crime watch' every day and now its gone.
    When a storm knocks my signal out now it gives me options to check my connections or stuff blocking my dish.
    This is thanks to the update to the software last week.
    Who is in charge of the bad changes?

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well, I guess your hope hasn't been restored by the fact that they already added a fantasy football app. Folks, the old app structure was simply not working. Before you wax nostalgic for it, remember all the times it just didn't come up for you. A lot of the apps were actually written by one of the DBSTalk test team and while they were good (given the restrictions placed on the developer) they were never going to be great. The most common complaint I heard was "this isn't as good as my smartphone app" and they're right, it wasn't.

Yes, the reboot of TVApps has taken out a lot of popular apps; I miss the "My (Sports) Team" app too but the vastly improved ScoreGuide does a lot to make up for it.

16. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    This is exactly why they should scrap the app feature altogether. They should either do it right or don't do it at all. DirecTV's expertise is in delivering traditional video programming via satellite, nothing more.

17. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Uh Stuart, the updated HD Apps DON'T come up at all on my HR-23 700, and are much delayed in coming up on my Genie HR-44.

I have rebooted the HR-23 and done the "02468" reboot process, both with no luck. Although I was very excited about HD Apps when it was in testing, now that I have it, I think there are still a lot of bugs with the app system. And, like many, I do miss the variety of content that was available on the SD app system.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Uh Stuart, the updated HD Apps DON'T come up at all on my HR-23 700, and are much delayed in coming up on my Genie HR-44.

I have rebooted the HR-23 and done the "02468" reboot process, both with no luck. Although I was very excited about HD Apps when it was in testing, now that I have it, I think there are still a lot of bugs with the app system. And, like many, I do miss the variety of content that was available on the SD app system.
    did you ever do ce software with that receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

19. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Calling the ScoreGuide " Vastly improved" says all you need to know,

It may look better on the screen but it's functionality has been degraded.

Whole thing is nothing short of a disaster.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah, it now takes me around 3-4 attempts with as much as 1-3 min. delays between them just to get the TV apps menu to come up or say "unavailable" followed by some error code number. Then it can take from 1-3 min. for a selected app from the menu to acknowledge one way or the other with the app's UI either appearing or to say unavailable with an error code as well.

Definitely, not ready for prime time. Not even close at this point. :nono2: