1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

WOW What a difference in Speed now !

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rickt1962, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1 of 18
    Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Ive been on here complaining about how slow my HR21-100 has been running. After doing all the tweaks on here and not much help in the speed area ! Finally found out what has made mine sloooow down !

I have a Slim5 dish on my system. This past week I took my reciever to a remote location and used my portable 18" Dish with only 1 LNB on it. WOW what a difference ! I can scroll the guide with lightning speed NOW ! :) Last time i used my portable was on a standard reciever, never on a DVR. So its either the extra 4 birds its picking up or the HD is what is slowing down the HR's on here. And my single LNB has 2 outputs so I still can use both tuners but NO HD :( But at this improvment of speed ! I can live with out HD for a much faster machine !

2. Dec 9, 2012 #2 of 18
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What difference, other than speed did you see ?
    Were the extra graphics we get on HD missing ?
    Was the guide the same ?
    Anything else you noticed ?

3. Dec 9, 2012 #3 of 18
    yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    If I had to live without HD, I would just sell my TV. I don't watch any channels that aren't HD. :icon_lol: :new_smili

4. Dec 9, 2012 #4 of 18
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Give up HD for speed? Fat chance.. :lol:

5. Dec 9, 2012 #5 of 18
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Sounds like the OP prefers changing Channel's to watching them. :)

6. Dec 9, 2012 #6 of 18
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me.

My R22 which is really an HR21 has never been connected to a slimline dish and I feel like kicking it because it is so sluggish. Unless, of course, it would run SLOWER when connected to a slimline dish. If that's the case, I don't know how subscribers put up with it....

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Either be constructive or don't post. Discuss the topic and not each other.

Mike

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Ain't gonna happen for me!!! :)

9. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I've read that the HR24s are speedy. My new 34 is much faster in almost all respects to the 21 it replaced. I had two, still have one but it's mostly used to record programs not actually watch. From this experience I have to say that if an HR21 was all that DTV had available I'd just go to cable and never look back. The one I replaced had me cursing every day and I was praying for that one problem that would justify my paying for a replacement. I've been vey happy with the 34 so far.

10. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    The biggest thing i noticed is the Channel Guide ! When i scroll down it rolls super fast ! Compaired to the slow and catch up scroll i had before ! The List feature is much faster also ! In general everything is much faster but the Channel Guide was the most improved !

11. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Again im guessing ! The two factors are I went from 5 Birds down to 1 and I am no longer in HD anymore. Im wondering if I get a Slim3 dish and have less birds coming into the tuner would help

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Before I'd go out and try a new dish/LNB, I'd play with what you have a bit more.
    Now that you have a baseline of what you feel is "fast", the next thing I'd do is connect it back to your Slimline "BUT" not change the receiver's setup. It will use the same 101 LNB since dishes are backward compatible.
    Is it just as fast, or does it slow down?

If as fast, then I'd change the setup, but not to the slimline, but the old phase III, which is 101, 110, 119.

Does it slow down, or stay as fast?

If it is still fast, then I'd change the setup for the Slimline.

Does it slow down, or?

This should give enough data to give an idea of what's going on here.

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And please post your results back if you would!

It occurred to me that part of the speed boost may have been due to the restart when you switched locations. Or do you reboot with some regularity?

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think that the speed increase is due to :
    1. This dish is not downloading all the HD channels and therefore has cut the total number of channels basically in half that it has to deal with. Making a Favorite list cuts out a lot of channels to manipulate and display also and it increases speed.

2. The graphics, the program etc. now are approximately one fourth of the HD stuff and this also cuts down on the data to manipulate and display.

I would not go back to SD for any reason, I love my HD pictures.
    If you just have to have the fastest thing around, get an HD receiver and hook it to the same TV. Record and play back on the DVR and do your scanning / surfing the guide / watching and switching channels on the HD ( non DVR ). They are really fast. My son has an H21 and I can see a major difference between it and my 2 DVRs.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There could be several/many things, so running through the steps I posted might point to an area that causes it.

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think you are right, and I also think that Jimmie's theories have enough merit to be considered, or at least the one about only having to index half the channels.

The first thing that came to my mind was that maybe since some of the sats are no longer there for a 5-lnb Slimline 5, that the DVR is wasting time trying to connect there, which impinges on other tasks. Kinda weak, I'll admit. It would seem that the OS could be up revved to ignore those ports when an old Slimline 5 is detected in setup or reboot.

We need more info to weed out the bad theories, but all of them are valid until proven invalid. I disagree that a light faves list will matter; the DVR still has a stock "All Channels" list permanently baked in, which needs to be indexed as well, regardless of what is in the faves. A faves list is really just an exception list: what fits both the category of a channel that is available and also fits the category of a channel I have chosen for the list. It needs to run that algorithm only once (when the list is built or modified), and then that is over.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I think this Post makes a lot of sense as to why the Speed has increased and I am going to cut down on unneeded channels in my Favorites List.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What might be happening is, by re-running the SAT setup for the 18" dish, the guide data is only being parsed for the SD channels. The guide data stream hasn't changed, but the receiver isn't storing as much of it to sort through to display in the guide.
    If you play with changes for the guide, from a custom to all, or channels I get, the guide already has the data. If you change from hiding SD duplicates to show SD duplicates, it give a message it may take a few mins.

It would be interesting if the OP makes the changes I posted and posts what happens or doesn't happen.