1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rich, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just read the box the HR20 comes in and I must admit it does everything it promises to do. And you have to buy the box before you get to read the Guide, which does state that certain functions are enabled and work correctly, which they do not. Such as the HDMI which refuses to work properly with my two Sony Digital CRTs.

I think this a real case of "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware). Not fraud, as I first thought. Be nice to have a lawyer express an opinion on this.

Rich

2. HD AV

HD AV Legend

Nov 22, 2006
    Blame SONY, not the HR20. Sony implements it's own proprietary versions of HDMI. Try and get Sony to tell you the new 10 bit panel sets coming out are HDMI 1.3 and they will tell you they are 1.3 compatible. Their proprietary implementation prevents them from being certified by the HDMI group as 1.3.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    A CRT isn't digital.....very, very, analog. FWIW

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    It's not just the box it's all of the advertising, press releases, mailing, verbal advertisments, and their website (where by the way, you can read the manual prior to purchasing.)

BTW, Caveat Emptor is not the basis for the law in the United States.

Whether D is engaging in fraud or false advertising is another question that really can only be answered by a jury after a trial.

The Federal Trade Commission also handles cases of false advertising. That process generally starts with consumer complaints. It's also possible that a State Attorney General's office could bring an action if they deemed a crime was being committed.

Civil (Non criminal) Cases like this generally end up as class action suits that, in general, do little to help the injured parties but do make the plaintiff's attorneys a boat load of money.

Don't feel bad for the companies that get sued in class action cases though...there are many cases where the settlement is such a nice marketing plan that companies NOT involved in the suit have asked to be included.

I am an attorney if that means anything. I have worked for companies that provided similar products/services to consumers (different industry). I have never worked as a class action attorney though...so you may want to speak with someone that knows that area if you're really concerned

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I have 2 Sony Bravia's and hdmi works fine with them, but they probably have a different version of the hdmi software than your set..... hdmi problems aren't always just the fault of D* though, as some manufaturers admittedly use their own standards in implementing hdmi that may or may not be compatible with other products using hdmi.....

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I haven't had any issue (at least that I can be sure of) related to the HDMI on my three Sonys or the Denon receiver. But...Sony doing (or having done) something proprietary wouldn't be a shock.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, so why didn't they make note of that in the User's Manual? Since I can see no discernable difference between the component picture and the HDMI picture on any of my TVs, I would have been happy to use the component wires and not have experienced all the problems that occurred when I had the Sony's hooked up to the HDMI. Oh well, at least I know now. Appreciate the clear explanation, thanx.

Rich

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Rich,

Is all that equipment in your home?

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have used Sony, Samsung, Oppo and Toshiba DVD upscalers on my Sony HDMI ports and have experienced no problems. Seems odd to me.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I also have eight inactive TiVos in perfect working condition. Just gave two TVs to the Salvation Army. Have a pile of VCRs and a large bin of blank tapes. Have a complete Sony Dream System sitting unused. Have three desktop computers. I have bins of cables of varying types. I think I have a problem.

I think TV is the best chunk of technology the 20th century spawned. And DVRs are the best thing that ever happened to TV.

I tried to put more equipment on my "signature", but was prohibited by the program because of space requirements. Seems there is a limit the the amount of info you can put on the page.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You have as much stuff as I do.

Rich

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Wouldn't that depend on your definition? I would call an HD CRT digital as it displays a digital signal. Computer monitiors are CRT's (mostly) and they all accept a digital signal. Am I missing something?

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    NP with the HR20 and my Sony 42KDFE2000

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes...the Cathode Ray Tube is very analog, while the processing might be digital, the "Tube" doesn't know a zero from a one,. It just knows what volts are.
    And NO computer CRT monitors don't all accept digital signal, but they do all accept analog signals.
    You must understand the difference between a variable voltage signal [analog] & one that is +5 volts & 0 volts [digital].
    The beam in the CRT is voltage controlled [deflected]. A LCD isn't. FWIW

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So, the digital 1080i picture that I watch on my Sony's that is clearer than my plasma is an analog picture? From an analog TV? I have only a few more minutes, but we must argue this point. Perhaps tomorrow?

Talley Ho!
    Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree and I hope this plays out in my favor. Have to leave, have a good evening.

Rich

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I'm not saying I don't have a fair amount of equipment. But 3 TVs and 3 DVRs doesn't come close to your list.

I wasn't attacking/belittling you in any way. Was just curious what you might be recording on all those units. Hey...maybe you have found a use for them that I'd try.

Anyway...please nothing negative was intended by my question at all.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It is digitally processed and sent to the CRT as analog. There is no digital CRT folks, period.
    The technology just doesn't work that way. But then neither do your eyes!

19. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I typed that and immediately wanted to retract it (the computer monitor part). My brain stopped working for a few minutes. I still do consider a CRT TV as digital, however, if it receives a digital signal. I realize the tube itself is not digital. I was using a broader definition (the whole TV instead of just the tube).

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm still trying to remember when my brain stopped working....
    Signal processing is one thing, a CRT is another.
    Oh yeah and it's as if that sales guy at the store had some clue what he was talking about? :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.